This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5041 / 51°30'14"N
Longitude: -0.0813 / 0°4'52"W
OS Eastings: 533265
OS Northings: 180094
OS Grid: TQ332800
Mapcode National: GBR TH.W0
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.JGWB
Entry Name: Fire Station
Listing Date: 3 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471390
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3380 TOOLEY STREET
636-1/2/780 (North East side)
Nos.139 AND 141
Fire station. After 1877. By Alfred Mott of the Metropolitan
Board of Works Architects' Department. Black brick in English
bond to plinth; red brick in English bond above; sandstone and
terracotta dressings. Roofs of tile. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. 8-window range. Left return
partly obscured by signage, of slightly later date, stepping
up to 5 storeys.
All 1st- and 2nd-floor windows are paired and
segmental-arched, except for left pair on 2nd floor, which are
flat-arched. The ranges formed by the outer pairs of windows
terminate in a gable dormer, that on the left capping a fully
projecting bay, with a pointed-arched recess grouping together
2nd-floor and attic windows; that on the right an implied bay
only, a ground-floor rectangular bay furnishing the only
projection at this point. Pair of attic windows between the
end "bays" finish as hipped dormers; corbel table to eaves.
Original cart entrances through a pair of segmental-arched
openings, the spandrels of which decorated with terracotta
blocks and bearing a fascia which once bore an inscription.
Ghost of inscription identifies the building as a Fire
Station. Triple windows to either side. High stacks, rebuilt,
to right of gabled bay, to the right of 6th bay and at right
INTERIOR: not inspected.
A good example of the second stage of London Fire Station
design following the establishment of the municipal fire
brigade in 1866.
Listing NGR: TQ3326580094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings