History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camberwell College of Arts and Gate Piers at Entrance

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4728 / 51°28'22"N

Longitude: -0.0859 / 0°5'9"W

OS Eastings: 533034

OS Northings: 176605

OS Grid: TQ330766

Mapcode National: GBR SV.V6

Mapcode Global: VHGR6.G7FT

Entry Name: Camberwell College of Arts and Gate Piers at Entrance

Listing Date: 27 September 1972

Last Amended: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471472

Location: Southwark, London, SE5

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick Park

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Giles with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Brixton

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3276 WILSON ROAD
636-1/11/864 (East side)
27/09/72 Camberwell College of Arts and gate
piers at entrance
(Formerly Listed as:
WILSON ROAD
(South side)
Wilson's Grammar School)

II

Grammar school, now college of arts. Dated 1882. By ER Robson,
architect. Red brick with stone dressings and bandings; high
pitched slate roof with moulded stone eaves cornice.
EXTERIOR: north elevation: 2 storeys with attic over east
wing. Irregular frontage with recessed 6-bay section with
central gable, between outer gabled wings. Right of centre
section small entrance link under gable. Stone 4-centred arch
with carved spandrels to door; plaque over: "Grammar School
founded by Edward Wilson, Vicar of Camberwell, AD1615. Rebuilt
AD 1882". Fenestration of varying sizes with stone lintels and
sills continued as bands and triangular pilaster strips with
stone copings and stops between. 2 terracotta panels with
coats of arms at 1st floor of left wing. Projecting octagonal
staircase turret in angle between recessed section and right
gabled wing. Stone plinth. Small cupola over centre of roof
ridge.
West elevation: 2 storeys with attic to right section, 13
irregular bays. Similarly detailed to north frontage. Left
section of 6 windows with central gable. Pilaster strips
rising to triangular pilaster strips at 1st floor between tall
bipartite and tripartite windows. Right section, which has
attic behind parapet and small gabled bay at end, has
triangular buttress strips rising above parapet as pedestals,
each supporting a shielded griffin. Centre 1-bay, slightly
projecting gabled entrance section. Stone doorpiece has Ionic
pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and broken
segmental pediment containing coat of arms. Perpendicular
canted bay window above. Stone plinth. Large stepped chimney
stack to right of central fleche.
Square crenellated tower feature of 3 storeys is incorporated
into east elevation.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stone entrance piers with urns.


Listing NGR: TQ3303876609

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.