This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5102 / 53°30'36"N
Longitude: -2.2886 / 2°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 380958
OS Northings: 401536
OS Grid: SD809015
Mapcode National: GBR D74.5P
Mapcode Global: WH989.T1DC
Plus Code: 9C5VGP66+3H
Entry Name: Kersal Cell
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471568
Location: Salford, M7
Electoral Ward/Division: Kersal
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Kersal Moor St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/06/2012
Kersal Cell, Nos. 20, 22 and 24
(Formerly listed as Kersal Cell, Littleton Road)
Manor house, later restaurant. C16 with later
additions. Timber-framed with plaster infill on a sandstone
base. Welsh slate roof with axial and end wall stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, hall range with cross-wings. Originally a
4-bay cruck-framed building, the cross-wings added later.
Framed in square panels, with coving below eaves, and braced
king-post roof construction to gabled wings. Recent
restorations have replaced window ranges in the S elevation,
which has a continuous band of fenestration to the ground
floor, and a long narrow window to first floor, all with
timber mullions. Doorway inserted to left of right-hand gable,
which has renewed 5-light mullioned window to right, and
canted oriel window above. Full-height canted bay window in
left-hand gable. The N elevation is of painted brick with
Gothic style windows in stuccoed square hoodmoulds. Exposed
cruck trusses built into end walls with part of a restored
plaster frieze with bold decoration to the left comprising a
bordered panel with vine leaves, fleur-de-lys and escutcheon
with initials E B and date 1697. To the right are 3 moulded
devices with large unicorn supporters. C17 staircase with
intertwined twisted balusters.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house stands on the site of Lenton
Priory, a C12 Cluniac house. It was the home of John Byrom,
shorthand writer, and author of 'Christians Awake'.
Listing NGR: SD8095801536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings