History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Stone at Sd8090601825 at the Junction with Singleton Brook (That Part in Bury District)

A Grade II Listed Building in Kersal, Bury

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5128 / 53°30'45"N

Longitude: -2.2894 / 2°17'21"W

OS Eastings: 380902

OS Northings: 401826

OS Grid: SD809018

Mapcode National: GBR D63.ZR

Mapcode Global: WH983.SYZX

Plus Code: 9C5VGP76+46

Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Sd8090601825 at the Junction with Singleton Brook (That Part in Bury District)

Listing Date: 14 July 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1393874

English Heritage Legacy ID: 508665

Location: Bury, M7

County: Bury

Electoral Ward/Division: Kersal

Built-Up Area: Salford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Kersal Moor St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Prestwich

Listing Text


326/0/10086 KERSAL VALE ROAD
14-JUL-10 (West side)
BOUNDARY STONE AT SD8090601825 AT THE
JUNCTION WITH SINGLETON BROOK (THAT PA
RT IN BURY DISTRICT)

II
Boundary stone. 1853. Ashlar. Triangular plan. Inscribed "SALFORD/ PRESTWICH" and on chamfered top "BOUNDARY STONE". Denotes the boundary (along the line of Singleton Brook) between Prestwich (in Bury) and Salford. Probably erected in 1853, the year when the 3 townships of Broughton, Pendleton and Salford were brought together to form the new County Borough of Salford. Forms a group with the boundary stones in Bury Old Road (qv) and Singleton Road (qv).

Part of the boundary stone lies within Salford district.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Boundary Stone at the Junction with Singleton Brook, dated 1853, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Date: It is a good example of a mid C19 boundary stone, which still survives in its original form.
* Historical: It marks a change in local government boundaries when the townships of Broughton, Pendleton and Salford were brought together and formed the new County Borough of Salford.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.