This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3593 / 52°21'33"N
Longitude: -2.0018 / 2°0'6"W
OS Eastings: 399976
OS Northings: 273472
OS Grid: SO999734
Mapcode National: GBR 2FT.4Q8
Mapcode Global: VH9ZF.8Y3Q
Entry Name: The Red House
Listing Date: 5 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471616
Location: Barnt Green, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B45
Civil Parish: Barnt Green
Built-Up Area: Barnt Green
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Cofton Hackett and Barnt Green
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SO 97 SE BROMSGROVE FIERY HILL ROAD
No.10, The Red House
House. 1901 remodelling by Charles E. Bateman of a late C18/early C19 farmhouse; for Arthur Elsmere Harris of Harris and Sheldon, shopfitters. Red brick with some sandstone dressings. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick gable-end and axial stacks with grouped shafts. PLAN: T-shaped plan house, remodelled in 1901 with a porch and wing added to the north front and a service wing on the west side, in the Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical north front with gabled 2-storey porch at centre with sandstone ashlar ground floor with moulded Tudor arch doorway with carved coat of arms above, flanking 3-light windows and 4-light stone mullion window above; gabled wing on right and single-storey service wing range on extreme right [W]. South garden front 3:1 bays with gable-ended wing on right with garden door to side of projecting stack; 2,3 and 5-light caserments with small panes, ground floor left 5-light window has leaded panes and two windows above have been replaced with C20 casements; cambered brick arches; gabled brick porch to left of centre with arched doorway and C20 glazed door. Circa early C20 conservatory on left [SW] corner. INTERIOR fundamentally remodelled in 1901. Porch leads to large central hall with exposed ceiling beams and joists, wall-framing with large plaster panels and integral doorframes with cambered arches, cornices and panelled and glazes doors, simple chimneypiece with panelled pilasters and panelled overmantel; in hall large framed cartoon of St Augustine telling King Ethelbert of Kent about Jesus Christ, by Henry Payne. Rising from the hall is a wide oak staircase with pierced balusters. Some of the ceiling beams are reused from the earlier farmhouse. SOURCE: Crawford, A., A Tour in North Worcestershire, Saturday 9th July 1977, p.11; Victorian Society, Birmingham Group.
Listing NGR: SO9997673472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings