This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3652 / 52°21'54"N
Longitude: -2.0071 / 2°0'25"W
OS Eastings: 399614
OS Northings: 274123
OS Grid: SO996741
Mapcode National: GBR 2FM.PCL
Mapcode Global: VH9ZF.5T97
Entry Name: The Clock House (Formerly Twatling Farm)
Listing Date: 5 February 1999
Last Amended: 21 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472924
Location: Lickey and Blackwell, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B45
Civil Parish: Lickey and Blackwell
Built-Up Area: Barnt Green
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Lickey and Blackwell
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SO 97 SE TWATLING ROAD
No.19 The Clock House (formerly Twatling Farm)
House. C17; remodelled and extended in 1913 by C. E. Bateman. Timber frame with brick noggin, and brick. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick axial stack. PLAN: The main NW range is a C17 2- room plan house with a central axial stack with back-to-back fireplaces and a lobby entrance with a porch. In 1913 the house was remodelled and extended by the addition of a wing on the SE end incorporating and outbuilding to the front and a barn at the back. Remodelled in the Vernacular Revival style. EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic. NW range has symmetrical3-window NE front with gabled timber- framed 2-storey porch (now containing stair) with blocked doorway and a 3-light casement with glazing bars above; similar window in brick ground floor to left with timber-framing above with tension-braces; wall to right of porch rebuilt in brick with 2-light casement and gabled dormer above. Wing projecting on left (SE), timber-framed and with brick ground floor, two gables, 4 and 5-light wooden mullion ground floor windows and 3-light first floor windows, all with leaded pane casements, doorway on right with glazed plank door; NE end of wing is jet tied on stone corbels on first floor; jetty is continued into first floor of range to left (SE), former outbuilding. Brick at rear SW, two gabled dormers, and gables on right, parallel brick range (remodelled barn) projecting on right (SW) with two large 5-light mullion- transom windows. On SE side, facing a small courtyard, a loggia with timber posts supporting roughcast first floor with 5-light window under eaves. INTERIOR: The original NW range has two rooms heated from large back-to-back fireplaces in central axial stack with sandstone jambs and chamfered timber bressumers with hollow step stops; chamfered ceiling beams and exposed joists. Features of the 1913 remodelling include fireplaces, moulded plank doors, staircases and a corridor on first floor over loggia with segmental vaulted plaster ceiling. Some exposed timber-framing, and tie-beam roof structures exposed in the two outbuilding incorporated into the 1913 remodelled house. SOURCE: Phillips, R. Randell; Country Life, The Lesser Country Houses of Today; date of article not known.
Listing NGR: SO9961474123
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings