History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Emmanuel

A Grade II Listed Building in Compton, Plymouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3881 / 50°23'17"N

Longitude: -4.1294 / 4°7'45"W

OS Eastings: 248725

OS Northings: 56414

OS Grid: SX487564

Mapcode National: GBR RDF.Z3

Mapcode Global: FRA 2870.P2Y

Entry Name: Church of Emmanuel

Listing Date: 1 May 1975

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473605

Location: Plymouth, PL3

County: Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Compton

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Plymouth

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4856SE MANNAMEAD ROAD, Mannamead
740-1/38/328 (East side)
01/05/75 Church of Emmanuel
(Formerly Listed as:
TAVISTOCK ROAD, Plymouth
Church of Emmanuel)

GV II

Anglican church. 1866 plans by WH Reid, architect, foundation
stone 1869 on site provided by Mr. Revel, main body of nave
completed 1880-81 by Hine and Odgers, vestry, chancel and W
end of nave 1895, tower design by Rodgers 1897, bells
dedicated 1904. Plymouth limestone rubble brought to course,
except nave, aisles and NW transept which are of random
uncoursed rubble; Plymouth limestone dressings including
plinth, flush string courses, copings and surrounds to
openings plus mullions and tracery; steep slate roofs with
coped gable ends; stone stack over NE corner of vestry.
STYLE: Decorated Gothic.
PLAN: nave and short NW transept plus 1895 extra projection to
west; chancel; N and S aisles; N and S transepts with vestry
and organ projections in their E angles, and SW tower.
EXTERIOR: diagonal corner buttresses to transepts, side
buttresses to E and W ends; pointed-arched traceried windows
and moulded pointed-arched doors, all with hoodmoulds. 2-stage
tower with offset corner buttresses, machicolated parapet
cornice, paired louvred lights to upper stage; W doorway with
crocketed pinnacles and gabled hood surmounted by a cross.
5-light E and W windows and 4-light N and S transept windows
with curvilinear tracery; paired clearstorey windows;
otherwise 2-light windows. Another W doorway at left with
moulded pointed arch and hoodmould. There is another doorway
to the E wall of the vestry.
INTERIOR: quatrefoil-plan arcade piers to pointed arches;
plastered walls.
GLASS: good stained glass: chancel E, N and S windows by
Morris and Co, designed by Burne-Jones, the E window 1881 with
2 tiers of figures and small lively scenes of the life of
Christ; N and S windows 1883-84, each with 6 musical angels
against foliage backgrounds (Pevsner); W and N aisle W windows
by Fouracre. The excellent glass of this church greatly
enhances its interest.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
641; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches:
1977-: 11 & 12).


Listing NGR: SX4872556414

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.