This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.378 / 50°22'40"N
Longitude: -4.1349 / 4°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 248300
OS Northings: 55302
OS Grid: SX483553
Mapcode National: GBR RCK.2N
Mapcode Global: FRA 2871.DY6
Plus Code: 9C2Q9VH8+62
Entry Name: Church of St Matthias and Attached Forecourt Walls
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473675
Location: Plymouth, PL4
Electoral Ward/Division: Drake
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/08/2016
NORTH HILL (East side)
Church of St Matthias and attached forecourt walls
(Formerly Listed as: TAVISTOCK ROAD, Plymouth, Church of St Matthias)
Anglican church. 1887 by Hine and Odgers, paid for by Mrs Watts in memory of her husband, Matthias Watts. Roughly coursed dressed Plymouth limestone and Portland stone dressings; dry slate roof over nave and chancel; low-pitched roofs behind embattled parapets to aisles. STYLE: Perpendicular Gothic. PLAN: nave with clerestory, chancel, N and S aisles, S porch,S transept, NW vestry and W tower.
EXTERIOR: traceried windows with hoodmoulds: 7-light chancel E window; 4-light E window to vestry and 4-light S window to porch, otherwise mostly 3-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds. Embattled 2-stage tower, with strings dividing stages, has corner buttresses surmounted by panelled, embattled and crocketed pinnacles; tall bell stage with slender shafts between tall 2-light transomed louvred and traceried windows. Lower stage has 4-light traceried window over moulded pointed-arched doorway of 2 orders under blind traceried panelling. S porch has moulded 4-centred arched doorway with flanking crocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: walls of yellow Bath and red Mansfield stone. Fittings: pulpit and font of Devon marble by Hems; reredos by Fellowes Prynne, 891. Stained glass by Fouracre & Watson, the earliest E window 1890.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: dressed Plymouth limestone brought-to course forecourt walls with chamfered copings and projecting square-on-plan gate-piers with tapered caps. The tower is a prominent feature of the Plymouth skyline.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989: 644).
Listing NGR: SX4830055302
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings