This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3748 / 50°22'29"N
Longitude: -4.1539 / 4°9'13"W
OS Eastings: 246939
OS Northings: 54980
OS Grid: SX469549
Mapcode National: GBR R8F.5Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 2851.RKG
Entry Name: St Dunstans Abbey and Attached Road Frontage Walls
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473684
Location: Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4654NE NORTH ROAD WEST, Stonehouse
740-1/56/825 (North side)
01/05/75 St Dunstan's Abbey and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTH ROAD, Plymouth
St Dunstan's Abbey)
Abbey complex. Begun 1850, by William Butterfield. Plymouth
limestone rubble with yellow stone dressings; weatherboarding
to covered walk; steep dry slate roofs on several levels;
crested clay ridge tiles; large stone lateral stacks.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: large irregular plan partly enclosing 2 courtyards with
chapel to north; house north-east of chapel linked by a
cloister to an L-shaped block to the south-east and there is
another block to south-west of chapel plus a long
single-storey covered walk beyond. There is a porter's lodge
left of entrance and a further block east of chapel.
EXTERIOR: single-storey chapel and covered walk, otherwise 2
storeys except for house which is 3 storeys; elevations mostly
with irregularly disposed openings. Entrance to abbey has
stone cross set in gable above. Porter's lodge has transomed
gabled 2-light window with quatrefoil tracery. Chapel has
5-light window with geometric tracery to W end. 5-bay cloister
in front of courtyard elevation of chapel; 2-light windows
with hoodmoulds and large lateral stack on the left. Lower
range returned in front to left of cloister with single and
paired lights. The opposite elevation of this range has large
central outbuilt gabled stack with 4 small windows; 2-light
windows stepping up to left of this with central taller stair
window. Wing south-west of chapel has coped gable end with
5-light window under a segmental arch; NW elevation has paired
windows. House has single and paired lancets plus an oriel
window breaking eaves to SE end; semicircular stair turret to
left of NW elevation and canted end to NW elevation. The
covered walk has a rubble plinth and weather- boarding above;
there are 3-light wooden windows with trefoil-headed lights.
INTERIOR: has many original features of interest. Chapel has
doorways with 2 orders of pointed arches.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: high rubble walls.
An outstanding example of Butterfield's work.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4693954980
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings