History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The China House

A Grade II Listed Building in Plymouth, City of Plymouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3687 / 50°22'7"N

Longitude: -4.1317 / 4°7'53"W

OS Eastings: 248500

OS Northings: 54263

OS Grid: SX485542

Mapcode National: GBR RD2.PX

Mapcode Global: FRA 2872.85R

Entry Name: The China House

Listing Date: 1 May 1975

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473810

Location: Plymouth, PL4

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton and Mount Gould

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Turnchapel

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4854SW
740-1/62/77
01/05/75

SUTTON ROAD, Barbican
(West side (off))
The China House
(Formerly Listed as:
SUTTON ROAD, Plymouth
Westernmost Warehouse overlooking
Coxside Creek and Sutton Harbour)

GV
II

Large warehouse, now a public house. 1650 by John Rattenburg,
extended late C20. Plymouth limestone rubble walls; new dry
slate hipped roof. Large rectangular plan plus C20 wing at
rear centre.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 9-window range, the 3 centre windows now
sheltered under an open gabled balconied projection. C20
windows and doors. Left-hand return has a blocked round-arched
opening towards the rear.
INTERIOR: C17 features survive in the end walls including a
blocked chamfered fireplace and the remains of a winder stair
at the left-hand end. There is a segmental-arched fireplace at
the other end. There are some re-used original oak roof
trusses with curved feet, lapped and dove-tailed collars and
evidence of threaded purlins.
HISTORY: 1667 bought by Harbour Commissioners and used as
victualling and naval storehouse; 1697 became a gun wharf for
Board of Ordnance; 1756 adapted as a naval hospital; 1768-74
was the factory of William Cookworthy, 1st maker of porcelain
in England (1st patent 1768).
Despite conversion, this building makes a positive
contribution to the character of the harbour area, an early
example of a warehouse in England, and its interest is
enhanced by its leading role in the development of porcelain
manufacture.

Listing NGR: SX4850054263

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.