History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

115-131, Vauxhall Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Plymouth, City of Plymouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3699 / 50°22'11"N

Longitude: -4.1354 / 4°8'7"W

OS Eastings: 248240

OS Northings: 54397

OS Grid: SX482543

Mapcode National: GBR RCG.9K

Mapcode Global: FRA 2872.0RW

Entry Name: 115-131, Vauxhall Street

Listing Date: 19 December 1988

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473877

Location: Plymouth, PL4

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Turnchapel

Listing Text


PLYMOUTH

SX4854SW VAUXHALL STREET, Barbican
740-1/62/102 (West side)
19/12/88 Nos.115-131 (Consecutive)
(Formerly Listed as:
VAUXHALL STREET, Barbican
Nos.115-137 (Consecutive))

GV II

Terrace of local authority housing (renumbered so that 132-137
no longer exist). Completed 1898, by James Paton, Borough
Engineer and Architect. Painted brick walls, concrete floors
and staircases; dry slate roofs with crested clay ridge tiles;
brick end stacks.
PLAN: double-depth plan, plus rear wings to enclosed
courtyards, the overall plan is of 2 similar blocks taking 2
street corners, the block on the right with canted corner and
returned into How Street; each house with a central through
passage giving access to 1-bedroom flats and staircase to
similar upper flats.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 3:3-window range with paired windows to
side bays of each unit to ground and 1st floors. Original
horned sashes with glazing bars to upper parts only;
shouldered lintels to 1st and 2nd floors. The canted corner is
a 1-window range with a blind gable end on its right. There is
a cental doorway to each unit with overlight and panelled
door. To right of left-hand doorway is granite plaque to
record that the block was opened on 5th December 1898 by
Alderman John Peltick, the designer being John Paton, and
Contractors were Wakeham Brothers.
INTERIOR: not inspected but is much as built.
Rare virtually complete early example of local authority
housing and part of a planned group with housing in How Street
and Looe Street (qqv).
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
663 & 664).

Listing NGR: SX4823654388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.