This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8932 / 51°53'35"N
Longitude: -2.0498 / 2°2'59"W
OS Eastings: 396671
OS Northings: 221629
OS Grid: SO966216
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.BKY
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.FP71
Plus Code: 9C3VVXV2+73
Entry Name: Charlton Manor
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473931
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SE ASHLEY ROAD
630-1/2/2 (West side)
14/12/83 Charlton Manor
House. 1864, with later addition to left return. Possibly by
Henry Dangerfield, Borough Engineer, for Charles Andrews
(speculator). Stone rubble laid 'crazily' with ashlar
dressings, ornately tiled roof and ashlar stacks with
cornices; range to left has mock timber-framing and render.
'Horrid' Gothic in 2 parts.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows with stepped and
barge-boarded gables over. Chamfered plinth. First floor:
oriel window to centre between mullioned and transomed windows
with relieving arches. Ground floor: central entrance in porch
with double pointed, part-glazed doors between sidelights,
cusped windows to sides of porch and pointed plank door within
in chamfered surround. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows
to either side of porch, those to right with cusped upper
lights under relieving arches. 2 gable return.
Left return has jettied extension, mullion and transom
windows. Angled bay at angle with original part. Projecting
octagonal bay to left linking with former billiard room.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Battledown Estate was laid out in 1858 by
Henry Dangerfield, Borough Engineer. Charlton Manor,
originally known as Simla Lodge, was the first house to be
built and occupied on the Estate.
(O'Connor DA: Battledown The Story of a Victorian Estate.:
Stroud: 1992-: 74-5, 86).
Listing NGR: SO9667121629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings