This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8968 / 51°53'48"N
Longitude: -2.0516 / 2°3'5"W
OS Eastings: 396543
OS Northings: 222034
OS Grid: SO965220
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.43H
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.DL77
Plus Code: 9C3VVWWX+P8
Entry Name: Battledown Tower
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386659
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474055
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SE STANLEY ROAD
630-1/2/111 Battledown Tower
House. 1863-9. Dated 'BT 1869'. Possibly by Henry Dangerfield,
Borough Engineer, for Charles Andrews, speculator. Rubble,
laid 'crazily' with ashlar and red and green stone dressings,
ornate tile roofs and ashlar end stacks with cornices. Gothic
Revival style, asymmetrical.
EXTERIOR: two-and-a-half storeys with belvedere tower with
saddleback roof to north-east and tall single-storey range to
right again; 2 + 1 windows. Chamfered plinth. Cross-mullion
windows with rounded upper corners and relieving arches of
alternately-coloured voussoirs; attic windows with cusped
lancets, all windows in quoined surrounds. Gothic gabled
timber porch in angle with set-back bay to right, entrance a
double part-glazed pointed door with Y-tracery, quatrefoils to
spandrels and decorative barge-boards with finial at apex;
within a pointed plank door in chamfered surround and hollow-
and roll-moulding to head, hoodmould with foliate stops. Above
an oriel bow on first floor and shaped gable to attic dormer.
Top-lit extension (kitchen or billiard room) to right has
French windows in shaped surround. Left hand return has
initial 'R' carved in panel on extended chimney; 3 gables with
INTERIOR: includes: open-well staircase with stick balusters;
shutters to some windows; moulded cornice to room to left,
otherwise not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Battledown Estate was laid out in 1858 by
Henry Dangerfield, Borough Engineer. This was one of the first
three houses to be built.
Apparently undergoing restoration at time of Review.
(O'Connor DA: Battledown The Story of a Victorian Estate:
Stroud: 1992-: 74-5, 86).
Listing NGR: SO9654322034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings