This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8858 / 51°53'8"N
Longitude: -2.0604 / 2°3'37"W
OS Eastings: 395938
OS Northings: 220805
OS Grid: SO959208
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.MX8
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.7VLQ
Plus Code: 9C3VVWPQ+8R
Entry Name: Charlton Park (St Edwards School Main Building)
Listing Date: 22 April 1950
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473989
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SE CIRENCESTER ROAD
630-1/2/46 (West side)
22/04/50 Charlton Park (St Edward's School,
(Formerly Listed as:
Charlton Park (Main School Building))
Country house, now school. C16, with C18, C19 and C20
alterations. Timber-framed courtyard house built c1562-8 for
Giles Grevill the younger; remodelled for John Prinn who
bought the property in 1701; east front remodelled 1701-9;
north front c1720 and new western block added 1732 (date on
stack, on beam in attic and a chimneypiece); west front
remodelled (including attic storey and pediment) and drawing
Room inserted into courtyard c1784 for Dodington Hunt and his
wife Elizabeth Prinn; altered c1885 and especially after
conversion into school in 1939. Brick, burnt red to south
front and pinkish-buff to west front with hipped tile roof,
also slates and lead.
EXTERIOR: west front: 2 storeys with attic, 11 first-floor
windows arranged 3:5:3 with central pedimented breakforward.
First floor has 6/6 sashes; attic storey has 3/3 sashes,
oculus to pediment; ground floor has 1/1 sashes; louvred
shutters to ground and first floors. Central entrance a
panelled door in tooled architrave with frieze and pediment on
consoles. Dentil cornice, blocking course. This block is 2
South front: 2 storeys with C20 attics, 7 first-floor windows.
Mainly 2/2 sashes in tooled architraves, moulded sills and
architraves; rectangular bay at right, ground floor has 1/1
sashes. Attic roof dormers with casements.
East front: first floor, two 6/6 sashes of c1701 remain.
Courtyard (now partly infilled by oval room): 2
mullion-and-transom windows remain to east range; to south
range are 3 blocked elliptically-arched openings, 2 with stone
To rear gable of south wing a plaque to stack inscribed 'MADE
NEW 1732' (in lozenge). Some stacks have Doric frieze and
INTERIOR: oak panelling (some probably C17). Chinese
Chippendale-type open-well staircase to garden front,
off-centre hall, with ramped handrail, newel posts decorated
with fretwork; carved acanthus ornament to treads. To rear of
this staircase a service stair with stick balusters. To early
C18 part a dogleg staircase has rod-on-vase balusters with
square knops and ramped handrail.
Oval drawing room (now chapel) has Neo-Classical decoration,
frieze with urns, decorative cornice, oval roof light with
frieze of swags and paterae, C19 stained glass; occupies
original courtyard. 4-, 6- and 8-fielded-panel doors, some in
tooled architraves. Shutters and pull-up shutters to some
windows; fielded-panel reveals to garden front windows.
Enriched cornices to Neo-Classical part. Good marble fireplace
to left room, garden front has panel with Hebe feeding and
eagle; some eared marble fireplaces.
South wing, attic: wall plate and purlin exposed, purlin dated
1732; several principal rafters and collar beams exposed, one
collar dated 1732.
Cellar under old range has barrel-vaulted ceiling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally known as The Forden, it was sold
by Giles Greville to John Prinn of the Inner Temple for »725
in 1701. He enclosed the east front in brick, the west block
was the final part of his extensions. It was inherited by
William Prinn in 1742, and painted by Thomas Robins c1748
(picture in Cheltenham Art Gallery); this show a 2-storey
house with attic dormers (but no pediment). Its name was
changed to Charlton Park c1784 for Dodington Hunt.
There is a similar Chinese Chippendale-style staircase to Nos
34 & 34A, Bafford Lane (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 121; Paget M (ed),
Charlton Kings Local History Society: A History of Charlton
Kings: Gloucester: 1988-: 77-79; Charlton Kings Local History
Society Bulletin: 1982-: 20-40).
Listing NGR: SO9593820805
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings