This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8834 / 51°53'0"N
Longitude: -2.0592 / 2°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 396024
OS Northings: 220544
OS Grid: SO960205
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.VLM
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.8X8J
Plus Code: 9C3VVWMR+98
Entry Name: The Court House
Listing Date: 23 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474049
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9620NW NEWCOURT ROAD
630-1/33/105 (East side)
23/03/82 The Court House
House. c1550, for Sir Henry Compton; parlour chimney possibly
added 1614; remodelled for John Prinn 1695-7, when central
hall rebuilt in brick, roof heightened, old parlour panelled
and south staircase inserted; modernised 1797-8 when it was
intended as the dower house for Charlton House (qv);
remodelled c1890 when porch added, refenestrated to west end
and bay window inserted to east.
EXTERIOR: brick with timber-frame to wings, with pebble-dash
finish, plain tile roofs, those to wings are half-hipped to
rear. Centre and slightly-lower wings. Two and a half storeys,
1:3:1 first-floor-window range. Ground floor, between wings a
lean-to and gabled porch with part-glazed door. Centre part
has c1900 windows: 6/2 flush sashes in wide surrounds; wings
have rectangular bay windows to ground floor and wooden oriels
on first floor; to right gable a garret light; attic dormer to
centre part at rear. Wide eaves cornice to centre on acanthus
modillions. Gable chimney to right; 2 large extended chimneys
to left-hand (NW) wing (on return); extruded chimney with
bread oven projection to right hand return. NW wing has large
stair window with central mullion and square leaded lights
with old glass.
INTERIOR: reported as including in centre block, hall
fireplace with egg-and-dart decoration; doorway with
bolection-moulded architrave to first-floor; late C16/early
C17 panelled door with 3 large strap hinges. 2 roof trusses
and a pair of purlins. Parlour (NW) wing: bolection-moulded
fireplace surround and a boxed ceiling beam. Bolection-moulded
panelling and cornices to both rooms and staircase hall. Door
with half an H-hinge. Dog-leg staircase with moulded string
and handrail, turned tapered rod-on-vase balusters with square
knops. First floor has 2 doors with bolection-moulded
architraves. Some timber-framing exposed with large square
panels, 2 purlins visible and pair of curved windbraces.
Jointed cruck-truss to large chamber. Service wing: cellar has
brick barrel vault. Dog-leg stair has moulded handrail and
barley-twist-on-vase balusters, continuing to attic and with
row of probably early C17 turned balusters and grip handrail.
To foot of attic stair a large jowled post with plain beam.
Roof truss has steeply cambered and tenoned collar, one pair
of trenched purlins and row of curved windbraces; diamond
ridge to apex.
HISTORICAL NOTE: presumably a medieval hall with cross-wings,
one a service wing, the other a parlour (or solar) wing. On
first floor of parlour wing an open arch-braced roof of 2 bays
and small ante-chamber. Probably an open hall with a screens
passage on the site of the present stack. The kitchen chimney
stack is probably an original feature. Charles Holt obtained
the house in 1613 with permission to alter it and the early
balusters may relate to a stair he inserted. These alterations
could include the flooring of the open hall. In 1695-7 the NE
wall was built outside the original timber wall and the wing
roofs were rebuilt in half-hipped form giving a grand garden
facade; the service-wing staircase was added and the
parlour-wing rooms were panelled. The staircase in the parlour
wing belongs to the first half C18, probably re-used from
elsewhere; it may have been added in c1790 when hall doorway,
fireplace and passage block were added. The original roof is
thought to have been thatch. It was known as New Court by
1620. Gate piers (qv) to the house are now located in garden
to rear of No.16 Newcourt Park.
(Paget M (ed), Charlton Kings Local History Society: A History
of Charlton Kings: Gloucester: 1988-: 75-77; Charlton Kings
Local History Society Bulletin: 1983-: 11-32).
Listing NGR: SO9602420544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings