This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8888 / 51°53'19"N
Longitude: -2.0382 / 2°2'17"W
OS Eastings: 397466
OS Northings: 221137
OS Grid: SO974211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MD.FJ7
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.MSBF
Plus Code: 9C3VVXQ6+GP
Entry Name: Ham Court and Wall Adjoining to Rear
Listing Date: 4 October 1977
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474011
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9721SW HAM ROAD
630-1/31/70 (East side)
04/10/77 Ham Court and wall adjoining to rear
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Staff quarters at Ham Court)
House and wall adjoining. Late C16/early C17; probably early
C17 range to far right (formerly known as staff quarters) with
late C17 or early C18 kitchen wing between; remodelling of
1724 included raising by one storey and rebuilding of south
front in brick; C19 alterations.
MATERIALS: timber-framed; pinkish-brown brick in Flemish bond
to front facade, Cotswold stone plinth with timber-frame and
plaster infill to left return and to part of rear, Cotswold
stone range to right and timber-framed former staff quarters;
main range has stone slate roof, range to right has renewed
tiles, timber-framed staff quarters with stone slate roof.
PLAN: 2 storeys and attic, 4 first-floor windows with
single-storey and attic, single cell to right and further
one-and-a-half storey, single cell range forming an 'L' to
EXTERIOR: off-centre right entrance a 6-panel part-glazed door
in moulded surround and C20 porch. Ground floor has two 6/6
sashes with hoods, C20 3-light and single-light casements with
glazing bars. First floor: three 6/6 sashes, tripartite 6/6
between 1/1 sash. Attic: three 3/3 and one 4/4 sash. All
windows have moulded wood frames, sills and flat arches of
gauged brick. End stacks. West gable end wall has moulded
bressumer at first floor with close-studding between small,
square panels of framing with concave lozenges within; small
square panels of framing to gable which shows evidence of roof
Range to right has 2 casement windows to ground floor and full
dormer window to attic; end stack. Former staff quarters has
small square panels of timber-framing, rendered between
panels; ridge chimney to left, lean-to tiled porch to right; 3
C20 casement windows, small light to gable.
INTERIOR: reported to have a good deal of beamwork exposed
particularly in the first-floor north-west room where the
decorative timber-frame panels are made into a feature.
Parlour beams have unstopped chamfers. Plain axial hall beam,
cross-beam by the stack has diagonal-cut stops. Hall fireplace
has chamfered stone jambs, chamfered bressumer, fireplace
retains its iron crane. Kitchen beam has chamfer and
diagonal-cut stops. Regency open-string staircase with stick
balusters and mahogany handrail; the doors in passages have
Regency reeded doorcases with well-carved roses in the corner
squares. First floor: further Regency doorcases, most with
roses in the corners except in hall chamber are lion-heads,
this room has Regency marble fireplace with circles in the
corners. In parlour chamber 2 posts of timber-frame visible.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: early C19 brick wall with stone coping to
walled garden abuts to rear approx 2m high and U-shaped on
HISTORICAL NOTE AND DEVELOPMENT: the west end wall was
originally jettied, with a shallow overhang, the jetty was
later underbuilt in stone and brick. The brick infilling in
the west wall indicates that the parlour fireplace is a later
insertion. Kitchen wing is probably a later addition. The
manor of Ham, an offshoot of the manor of Cheltenham, was
granted to Robert Goodrich after 1564; by 1574 Robert and
Edith Goodrich were in possession and in 1574 Thomas Packer
agreed to pay »400 for the property, described in 1576 as the
'Farme of Hame', presumed to be Ham Court. During the Civil
War Ham Court is reputed to have provided fodder for Royalist
troops. Prince Rupert is reputed to have spent a night there.
Small enclosed yard at rear.
There are similar square panels of timber-framing with concave
lozenge panels at The King's House, No.37 School Road (qv).
(Paget M (ed), Charlton Kings Local History Society: A History
of Charlton Kings: Gloucester: 1988-: 91-93; Charlton Kings
Local History Society Bulletin: 1980-: 5-10; Charlton Kings
Local History Society Bulletin: 1988-: 5-16).
Listing NGR: SO9746621137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings