This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8961 / 51°53'45"N
Longitude: -2.0743 / 2°4'27"W
OS Eastings: 394982
OS Northings: 221951
OS Grid: SO949219
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.4CG
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0L7T
Plus Code: 9C3VVWWG+C7
Entry Name: The Bell Inn
Listing Date: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386705
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474101
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NE BATH ROAD
630-1/18/159 (South East side)
The Bell Inn
Inn. c1800-20 with later alterations including those to ground
floor of c1900. Stucco over brick with concealed roof, right
end brick and stucco stack and wrought-iron window guards.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows. First floor has
tall 6/6 sashes; second floor has 3/3 sashes; all in plain
reveals and with sills. Crowning frieze, cornice and blocking
course with copings. Ground floor has central C20 glazed door
in architrave with sidelights and overlight. Plate glass
windows with decorative upper glazing and aprons with tile
panel with pub name, 'Bell Inn' between pilasters.
Return to left has 2+2 first-floor windows. 6/6 sashes (taller
to front part) to first floor; blind and replacement windows
to second floor.
INTERIOR: ground floor remodelled C20.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first floor has individual balconies to
front and 2 to return with embellished rods.
HISTORICAL NOTE: shown on maps of c1830 as an inn. The
wrought-ironwork is of a type common in Cheltenham c1800-20.
An externally good example of a surviving purpose-built inn on
a major approach road to Cheltenham. Group value with No.68
Bath Tavern (qv).
(Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9498221951
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings