This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8988 / 51°53'55"N
Longitude: -2.0737 / 2°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 395027
OS Northings: 222254
OS Grid: SO950222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Y9T
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0JLQ
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXG+GG
Entry Name: Numbers 6 to 11 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474169
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522SW CAMBRAY PLACE
630-1/14/221 (North side)
12/03/55 Nos.6-11 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terrace of 6 houses (now houses, flats and commercial
buildings) with attached railings. Numbered right to left,
described left to right. c1810-30: most of the terrace shown
on the Post Office Map of 1820 (with a possible gap to east,
Nos 6 and 7), all shown on Merrett's 1834 map. Railings
supplied by W Wheeler; balustrades manufactured by Carron
Company. Brick with stucco facades and slate roof; iron
verandahs (except to No.11) and forecourt railings throughout.
Double depth plan with service ranges to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 18 first-floor windows (3
per house). Stucco detailing includes: rustication to ground
floor drawn into voussoirs over openings; floor bands; frieze,
cornice and blocking course. Basement, first and second floors
have 6/6 sashes, taller to first floor; 1/1 replacement sashes
to ground floor; all in plain reveals and with sills.
Entrances (3 to left, 3 to right): flights of steps to 5- and
6-panel doors between pilaster strips and side-lights with
wide fanlights with batwing-and-circle glazing.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but some shutters visible.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor verandahs to all except No.11
have heart-and-anthemion motif to balustrades, probably
supplied by W Wheeler who supplied the railings to Nos 6-9
(name on urn finials); area railings throughout have stick
balusters and lattice panels, some reset; spearhead railings
to sides of steps and between plots, some with anthemion
finials to street. Ground-floor window boxes to No.10 have
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cambray Place was a wide avenue leading to
Cambray House, at one time rented to the Duke of Wellington
but since demolished and replaced by a mid-C20 block of flats.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1992-: 145; Chatwin A:
Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 37;
Radford S: The Terraced Houses of Cheltenham 1800-1850: 1992-:
40-48; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9501622241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings