This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9005 / 51°54'1"N
Longitude: -2.0774 / 2°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 394771
OS Northings: 222444
OS Grid: SO947224
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X6M
Mapcode Global: VH947.YH4F
Entry Name: Former Salem Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474252
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/06/2017
CLARENCE PARADE (North West side)
Former Salem Baptist Chapel
(Formerly listed as Salem Baptist Chapel)
Former chapel. 1843-4, subdivided in 1980. Ashlar over brick with slate roof. Picturesque Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: plinth. Gabled front of three bays, central window in the 'Decorated' style with crocketed label; small rose window to apex with hoodmould. Outer pointed arched openings have three orders of arches with slender pilasters and tall panelled doors with simple Perpendicular-type tracery. Terminal buttresses.
INTERIOR: gallery around four sides with arcaded panelled front supported by iron columns, now partly obscured by inserted ceiling. Flat roof with beams on corbel brackets. Original joinery includes arcaded panelled doors. Carved stone pulpit noted in 1983 List as currently dismantled.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built for the seceders from Bethel Chapel, cost £3,400, £1,000 of which was donated by Mrs Gardner. Intended to seat 2,000.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993: 119; RCHME: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses: Gloucestershire: London: 1986: 75; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979: 26; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850: Cheltenham: 1845-1969: 43; Godwin HG: A History of Salem Baptist Church, Cheltenham: 1986; List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Department of the Environment: Borough of Cheltenham: 1983).
Listing NGR: SO9477722431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings