This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1094 / 52°6'33"N
Longitude: -2.0759 / 2°4'33"W
OS Eastings: 394898
OS Northings: 245682
OS Grid: SO948456
Mapcode National: GBR 2JM.PZC
Mapcode Global: VH938.Y7XR
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel with Attached Parish Room and Manse
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474432
Location: Pershore, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR10
Civil Parish: Pershore
Built-Up Area: Pershore
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Pershore
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Baptist Chapel with attached Parish Room and Manse
Chapel with attached parish room and manse. Chapel founded
1658, present building 1843, altered; extended towards road
(this part now the Parish Room) and manse built 1888. Brick
with Welsh-slate and plain tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: chapel of one storey, 1x4 bays, with gabled 2-storey
Parish Room added at front, and to right of this the manse
which has a 3-storey range, gable end to road, with a
2-storey, 2-window wing projecting from right side but set
back and with a single-storey porch in the angle.
Original chapel: of red brick in Flemish bond having
Welsh-slate roof with stepped dentilled eaves. Tall
4-centred-arched recesses, the arches of rubbed brick with
keystones, contain tall similarly-arched windows which have
stone cills and 7/4-pane sashes with arched glazing bars in
Parish Room: of red brick and ashlar; plain tile roof with
stepped, raised, verge. Stepped gable with moulded ashlar
coping and finial. Upper window of 5 stepped lights with
transoms and stepped hoodmould; panelled band below. Ground
floor has 3-light window and entrance on right with double
door and mullioned over-light.
Manse: red brick in Flemish bond with white-brick "quoins",
decorative bands, eaves and jambs; decorative stone cills and
lintels; oversailing Welsh-slate roof with dentilled and
moulded eaves, barge boards, and brick stacks with offsets.
Windows are 2/2 sashes, paired on ground floor, with a 3-light
canted bay-window to gable end of wing.
INTERIOR: of chapel: 3-sided gallery supported by cast-iron
columns and brackets with blind Gothick-arched panelled
fronts, 3 tiers of pews to sides and 1 at back;
Gothick-panelled NW gallery door; SW staircase has narrow
balusters, curved treads, and handrail with spiral curtail;
pointed-arched double-door on ground floor at E end; main
4-centred-arched entrance at W end; further pointed-arched
doorways; flat ceiling, divided into squares by deep ribs
springing from bosses on side walls, has 4 moulded ceiling
roses with metal grilles; ground-floor refurbishment of 1980s
resulted in removal of most original fittings.
Furnishings include candle lamp of 1843, early-C19 wall
monuments, and under-floor baptistry.
Listing NGR: SO9489845682
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings