This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7995 / 50°47'58"N
Longitude: -1.0965 / 1°5'47"W
OS Eastings: 463768
OS Northings: 100384
OS Grid: SU637003
Mapcode National: GBR VQ5.LY
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LZ.GN0
Plus Code: 9C2WQWX3+RC
Entry Name: Hms Nelson: the Wardroom and Attached Bollards
Listing Date: 25 September 1972
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475054
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St George
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU6300 QUEEN STREET
774-1/8/100 (South side)
25/09/72 HMS Nelson: The Wardroom and
(Formerly Listed as:
Officers Mess of HMS Victory
Officers' quarters and mess. 1899-1903. By Sir Henry
Pilkington, RE, for the Admiralty. Red brick in English bond
with rusticated basement; lavish yellow stone dressings. Slate
roof with corniced, multi-flue, chimneys. Free Baroque style.
PLAN: axial plan of 3 linked blocks, each double depth with
rear centre wardroom.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, outer blocks with attic. 7
bay centre with central entrance tower; outer accommodation
blocks of 5 bays. Ashlar bands; eaves cornice and architraves
with tripartite keystones, and pediments to central block.
Windows mostly 12-pane sashes. Dated heads to rainwater pipes.
Outer blocks have external chimney stacks as buttresses each
side of centre, linked by pierced arched parapet above eaves;
Tuscan porches to centre on ground floor, with balustrades and
above, a 2-storey window with carved panels and a
Centre block: tower projects, crowned by Ionic columned cupola
with ship finial; on ground floor, Tuscan portico on brick
basement with entablature, balustraded panelled parapet, and
flights of steps at each side and at front, the latter
breaking through under arch with royal coat of arms; 2-storey
stair-window above has pilastered architrave with gablet and
obelisk finial. Bay to left has Venetian window on 1st floor;
bay to right paired windows; 2nd floor pilasters some rising
from cartouches with admiralty crests; end bays have 2-storey
canted oriels below gables with former ship figureheads in
niches. Linking bays each have giant blind arch with
rusticated voussoirs and massive carved keystone; 5-light
window above and stepped embattled parapet. At south-west
corner of building, 2 inverted cannon barrel bollards.
INTERIOR: fine wardroom has Ionic entrance with decorative
frieze, massive fireplace, musicians' gallery with elaborately
carved dated frieze; above panelled wainscot, a series of
paintings of famous naval battles including 'The Glorious 1st
of June' and 'Copenhagen' by H Wylie; coats of arms of Nelson
and his captains at Trafalgar; arch-braced queen post roof;
decorative iron chandeliers. Stair hall: marbled columns,
stair rising around 3 sides has panelled wooden balustrade
with carvings of The Victory throughout the ages and the
ship's battle honours; decorative pediments and finials to
newels. Other principal rooms have panelling, decorative
fireplaces, Ionic pilasters and marbled columns supporting
friezes and cornices, compartmental ceilings. Panelling,
doors, light fittings and mirror re-used from the Royal Yacht
Victoria and Albert after its decommissioning c1953.
HISTORY: a near-identical design to the other officer's
quarters at Devonport and Chatham naval barracks, the first
built for sailors, and a strikingly rich and strongly
articulated piece of architecture. One of the clearest
manifestations of the status and confidence of the Royal Navy
at this time.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: PTM/1703-15).
Listing NGR: SU6373200461
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings