This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8281 / 50°49'40"N
Longitude: -1.0927 / 1°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 463997
OS Northings: 103560
OS Grid: SU639035
Mapcode National: GBR VQS.1J
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LX.B3B
Entry Name: Two former powder magazines at Tipner Magazine
Listing Date: 22 November 1979
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475172
Location: Portsmouth, PO2
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Two former powder magazines at Tipner Magazine
(Formerly listed as: TIPNER, TIPNER LANE, TWO FORMER POWDER MAGAZINES AT TIPNER MAGAZINE)
Two former powder magazines. North magazine of c1796-8, south magazine of 1856. Red brick in Flemish bond with grey headers, stone dressings. Late C20 gambrel-shaped roof with troughed metal covering.
EXTERIOR: each magazine one storey and attic, three bays. To main east facade each magazine has three large openings each with a two-leaf iron door set under flat stone arch; far right door to north magazine missing. At each jamb are three stone block inserts each with large built-in door hinge. On each side of centre doors is a long narrow ventilation slot with stone surround. Brick band at first floor and three two-leaf eight-pane recessed casements each set under gauged brick segmental arch, stone sill. Attic has two blinded window openings to north magazine and two similar openings to south magazine but with slated timber panels, each set under gauged brick segmental arch and gambrel-shaped gable with stone coping. South wall rebuilt mid C20 for vehicular access.
INTERIOR: the brick vaulting remains intact at east end of each magazine for approximately one third of the length. Rear wall to north magazine demolished, late C20 rebuilt rear wall to south magazine.
HISTORY: the recent war with France, and the invasion scare of 1779 led to concerns about the vulnerability of the arsenals and had exposed an alarming situation concerning the state of the nation's gunpowder. The former was foremost in the mind of the new (appointed 1782) Master-General of the Board of Ordnance, George Lennox the Third Duke of Richmond. Although his plan to enhance the landward fortifications of Portsmouth and Plymouth was defeated in the House of Commons in 1786, his other strategy - to divide and separate the magazines - was implemented at Portsmouth with the acquisition of land at Tipner Point between 1789 and 1791.
The original design for a pair of circular vaulted magazines was superceded by the present one for a magazine with groined arches and a copper-clad wooden roof. From 1805 until the mid 1820s Tipner acted as deposit magazine for the restoving of old gunpowder at Stamshaw nearby (demolished). The magazine accommodation at Tipner, Marchwood and Upnor was increased following appraisal by Lord Panmure, the Secretary of State for War, of the Committee on Magazines report of March 1856.
The southern extension to the magazine was built with parabolic arches, as used at Weedon Bec and Upnor. On the division of the ordnance depots between the two services in 1890, the site passed to the Army, and on conversion of the magazines into general ordnance storage the present iron doors were inserted.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings