History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hms Excellent: Drill Shed (Building Number 190)

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8153 / 50°48'54"N

Longitude: -1.0946 / 1°5'40"W

OS Eastings: 463878

OS Northings: 102137

OS Grid: SU638021

Mapcode National: GBR VQG.GF

Mapcode Global: FRA 86LY.9C0

Entry Name: Hms Excellent: Drill Shed (Building Number 190)

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387270

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475202

Location: Portsmouth, PO2

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Portsea St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text


PORTSMOUTH

SU60SW WHALE ISLAND
774-1/3/467 HMS Excellent: Drill shed (Building
08/07/98 No.190)

II

Naval drill hall, gunnery school. Dated 1892. Red brick in
English bond with brighter-red brick arches and ashlar
dressings; corrugated-iron roof.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: large rectangular structure of one storey, 3 x
19 bays, open on north side (onto Parade Ground). Chamfered
plinth; giant brick pilasters flanking recessed panels and
linked by stepped eaves bands. End elevations each have
projecting central bay with wide round-arched entrance
containing double door below tympanum of diagonally-laid
brickwork, imposts, keystone with fouled anchor (and date at
west end) rising into brick band; above, oculus with radial
glazing bars; pedimented gable flanked by swept brackets and
with ashlar coping and ball-on-spire finial; to flanking bays,
blind segmental-arched windows. South elevation: small-pane
metal windows in segmental-arched openings, the bays defined
by buttresses with offset heads. North elevation:
square-columned arcade, each bay having 9-light glazed head.
Full-length ridge clerestory with louvres.
INTERIOR: a wide-span roof of tensile trusses made of diagonal
wrought-iron ties from a canted cross tie to angle iron
principals, and braces of paired flat iron.
HISTORY: the first barracks were built here in 1863 as part of
the naval gunnery school. A large hall for indoor drill
practice, comparable with the large examples at the main naval
barracks at Plymouth and Chatham and included for its historic
technical interest.
(The Oxford Illustrated History of the Royal Navy: Oxford:
1995-: 255).


Listing NGR: SU6377602639

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.