This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8277 / 50°49'39"N
Longitude: -1.0927 / 1°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 463994
OS Northings: 103522
OS Grid: SU639035
Mapcode National: GBR VQR.C2
Mapcode Global: FRA 86LX.B3G
Entry Name: Building immediately south of former powder magazines at Tipner Magazine
Listing Date: 22 November 1979
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475174
Location: Portsmouth, PO2
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Building immediately south of former powder magazines at Tipner Magazine
(Formerly listed as: TIPNER, TIPNER LANE, TWO STOREY BUILDING SOUTH OF FORMER POWDER MAGAZINES AT TIPNER MAGAZINE)
Shifting house (for changing into specialist magazine clothing), converted into magazine by 1827. 1798-1800, to the designs of Colonel Mulcaster, CRE Portsmouth. Red brick in Flemish bond. Flat roof concealed.
Two storeys, seven bays. Main north facing facade has at centre a nine flush panelled door with eight-pane overlight set under gauged brick segmental arch. To left and right are three sixteen-pane sashes each set under a gauged brick segmental arch with stone sill. Brick band at first floor and seven twelve-pane unequal sashes each set under a gauged brick segmental arch, brick band and stone coped parapet. Rear elevation five bays wide, centre bay projects and has a sixteen-pane sash set under gauged brick segmental arch with two similar sashes on each side. First floor has five blinded window openings.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: The recent war with France, and the invasion scare of 1779 led to concerns about the vulnerability of the arsenals and had exposed an alarming situation concerning the state of the nation's gunpowder. The former was foremost in the mind of the new (appointed 1782) Master-General of the Board of Ordnance, George Lennox the Third Duke of Richmond. Although his plan to enhance the landward fortifications of Portsmouth and Plymouth was defeated in the House of Commons in 1786, his other strategy - to divide and separate the magazines - was implemented at Portsmouth with the acquisition of land at Tipner Point between 1789 and 1791.
The original design for a pair of circular vaulted magazines was superceded by the present one for a magazine with groined arches and a copper-clad wooden roof. From 1805 until the mid 1820s Tipner acted as deposit magazine for the restoving of old gunpowder at Stamshaw nearby (demolished). The magazine accommodation at Tipner, Marchwood and Upnor was increased following appraisal by Lord Panmure, the Secretary of State for War, of the Committee on Magazines report of March 1856.
The southern extension to the magazine was built with parabolic arches, as used at Weedon Bec and Upnor. On the division of the ordnance depots between the two services in 1890, the site passed to the Army, and on conversion of the magazines into general ordnance storage the present iron doors were inserted.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings