This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4839 / 51°29'1"N
Longitude: 0.07 / 0°4'11"E
OS Eastings: 543826
OS Northings: 178134
OS Grid: TQ438781
Mapcode National: GBR NK.B8Z
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.5YBV
Entry Name: Former Infant School
Listing Date: 21 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475215
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Common
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Plumstead St John with St James and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/03/2013
SANDY HILL ROAD
Former Infant School
(Formerly listed as Woolwich Polytechnic (Former Infant School))
Infant School, 1899 for London Board Schools. Stock brick, engineering brick, red brick dressings, tile roofs. Single storey, comprising hall, seven classrooms and ancillary rooms. Near symmetrical. West (Sandy Hill Road) elevation. Three gabled wings those to left and right set forward. Triple sash windows with glazing bars, central top light with decorative glazing bars, top hung. Red brick dressings and rendered keystones. All beneath applied shaped gable in red brick with rendered shaped head, but under conventional gable, the infill pebble dash rendered. Central wing three tall identical sash windows with glazing bars, under curtailed flat topped gable with half-hip above. Gable in fine red brick, central plaque in stone inscribed Bloomfield Road School with monogram below. Entrance of paired doors beneath overlight to right, paired sashes to left. North entrance in stone doorcase with shallow flanking pilasters, beneath tablet inscribed INFANTS. North wing a pair of tall sashes with glazing bars beneath small pebble dash rendered gablets. East elevation of outer gabled wings set forward, treated as Sandy Road elevation, the southern wing with small tripartite window with central decorative glazing bars on moulded brick base. Between, gabletted bays, three with tall paired sash windows with glazing bars, one a single light. Right hand entrance beneath overlight. Interior tall airy classrooms with part exposed roof trusses.
Formerly also used as Woolwich Polytechnic building, now converted into homes.
HART thematic report, London Board Schools, Andrew Saint, 1991
LCC Plans of Elementary Schools, G. Topham Forest, G.H. Gater, 1931
Listing NGR: TQ4382678134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings