This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5721 / 54°34'19"N
Longitude: -0.9789 / 0°58'43"W
OS Eastings: 466112
OS Northings: 520130
OS Grid: NZ661201
Mapcode National: GBR PHLK.WT
Mapcode Global: WHF87.YB1T
Plus Code: 9C6XH2CC+RF
Entry Name: Railway Viaduct (That Part in Skelton and Brotton)
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Last Amended: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475228
Location: Skelton and Brotton, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Skelton and Brotton
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 62 SE SKELTON & BROTTON
1634/1/10001 Railway Viaduct (that part in Skelton & Brotton)
Railway viaduct. 1865-72, probably designed by Harrison, the company engineer. Built for the North Eastern Company. Red brick with ashlar dressing.
11 very tall segmental arches, with battered brick piers. The tallest central piers all have rock-faced ashlar bases, the tallest 2 piers which rise from the river bed have dorned cutwaters on either side. Roll moulded ashlar parapet on either side of the railway line.
HISTORY: the authorisation for this line was granted in 1865, and the line was opened 1 June 1872. It was built to serve the Skinningrove limestone mines.
See also Saltburn Marske and New Marske CP.
Listing NGR: NZ6611220130
Other nearby listed buildings