This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5751 / 54°34'30"N
Longitude: -0.9784 / 0°58'42"W
OS Eastings: 466136
OS Northings: 520462
OS Grid: NZ661204
Mapcode National: GBR PHLJ.ZR
Mapcode Global: WHF87.Y88J
Plus Code: 9C6XH2GC+2J
Entry Name: Manesty
Listing Date: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475508
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6620SW MARSKE MILL LANE, Saltburn
802-1/12/50 (West side)
Formerly known as: The Homestead MARSKE MILL LANE Saltburn.
Villa. 1905-7. Burnt before completed; part rebuilt 1907 by
Cackett and Burns Dick of Newcastle upon Tyne for Major HR
MATERIALS: snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and
timber-framed to porches and rear window gables; roof of
French tiles with brick chimneys.
STYLE: Vernacular Revival.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, irregular 5-window front and right
extension under catslide roof. Front has long end wings
breaking forward; between them wide gabled porch at left has
partly-glazed door with side lights, 3-light transom stair
window above under gable with small diamond-shaped decorative
panel. To right, a small single light and a 2-light window;
low 2-light window below single light.
Left wing front has 4-light window on each floor, the upper
rising above eaves. Right wing, with single upper light in
narrow diagonal link to main elevation, has boarded, partly
glazed garage doors below 3-light window; right extension has
similar garage doors under swept catslide roof. Inner return
of left wing has single ground and 2-light first-floor windows
to right of central external chimney stack.
Inner return of right wing has single high window at left. All
windows casements, those in stone walls with flat stone
lintels and thin wood sills. Small 2-light window in wide
triangular dormer to right of porch gable.
2 transverse ridge chimneys on main roof, one on right wing
and stack with offsets rising from eaves of inner return of
left wing. All roofs have swept eaves, all chimneys have
corbelled tops and no pots.
Rear elevation has 3-light window breaking eaves in first bay
with blank ground floor; timber-framed third bay with glazed
door, flanked by gabled bays, the left with projecting square
bay window on ground floor, both with wany timber struts to
eaves from post truss and from tie beam.
INTERIOR: shows short flight of steps in passage up to
entrance hall, both panelled; open well stair with stick and
pierced wide balusters, with inlay work to newel on second
step, the first swept round to panelled stair well.
HISTORY: this house was bought in 1919 by a Mr Hutchinson who
lived in the adjacent house then called Manesty; he changed
name of this house from Homestead to Manesty.
(French P: Letter in possession of present owner, dated 29 May
1950; Cackett and Burns Dick: Plans for villa residence for HR
French: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1907-).
Listing NGR: NZ6613620462
Other nearby listed buildings