This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5845 / 54°35'4"N
Longitude: -0.9712 / 0°58'16"W
OS Eastings: 466588
OS Northings: 521516
OS Grid: NZ665215
Mapcode National: GBR PHNF.JC
Mapcode Global: WHF88.11T9
Plus Code: 9C6XH2MH+QG
Entry Name: Britannia Mansions and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475500
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
Tagged with: Building
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621NE MARINE PARADE, Saltburn
802-1/8/46 (West side)
Nos.7 AND 9
Britannia Mansions and attached
Formerly known as: BRITANNIA TERRACE Saltburn.
Pair of seaside terraced houses with steps and railings; now
flats. 1863-4, altered C20, as Britannia Terrace by John Ross
of Darlington for the Saltburn Improvement Company.
MATERIALS: Pease white brick with red sandstone and fossil
limestone dressings; red brick left return gable; Welsh slate
roof with fishscale mansard and brick chimneys. Wrought-iron
balconies and handrails.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, attics and basement; 6-window range. 10
steps up at right of each house to 6-panel 2-leaf doors, the
leaves now united, with circular middle panels and shaped
Door surrounds of limestone shafts and red sandstone segmental
heads recessed in similar head with lugged, keyed red arch
surround raised from impost string. Jambs have scrolled stone
feet and moulded chamfers.
Similar details without shafts to 2-light ground-floor
casements, glazing bars to No.9, in stone surrounds. Basement
windows set behind 2-bay stone segmental arches between
battered piers with red brick tumbling; capitals flanking
arches have large patera and support cast-iron piers of
First-floor balcony on which open full-length first-floor
windows, 2-light except central canted bay to each house.
These windows have scroll brackets to cornices with central
raised decoration. Second-floor sashes have shallow balconies
with pierced stone balustrades, and dripmoulds to heads with
similar raised panels; smaller third-floor sashes have string
rising to segmental heads. Some windows renewed glazing.
Deep eaves cornice with elaborate modillions to gutter. Lugged
surrounds to 2 segmental headed dormers to each house.
Roof has 2 inserted glazed lights at No.7; long transverse
Cast-iron balustrade to ground floor has-arched panels and
lozenge dogbars; leaf and tendril iron brackets form
elliptical arches between tapered octagonal cast-iron columns
supporting first-floor balcony; first floor balustrade of
ornate geometric pattern.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings repeat ground floor
balustrade design; twisted balusters support wide iron
handrails flanking steps to door.
HISTORY: No.9 was the summer residence of Henry Pease, founder
of the Saltburn Improvement Company, established 1861 to
develop the new town as a holiday resort.
(Wilson CS: The History of Saltburn: Saltburn by Sea: 1983-:
Listing NGR: NZ6658821516
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings