This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.585 / 54°35'5"N
Longitude: -0.9712 / 0°58'16"W
OS Eastings: 466583
OS Northings: 521572
OS Grid: NZ665215
Mapcode National: GBR PHNF.J6
Mapcode Global: WHF88.10SX
Entry Name: Alexandra House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475502
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621NE MARINE PARADE, Saltburn
802-1/8/48 (West side)
Alexandra House and attached
Formerly known as: Alexandra Hotel BRITANNIA TERRACE Saltburn.
Hotel, now flats, with railings. 1863-7, altered C20, probably
by John Ross of Darlington, for John Anderson (Resident
Engineer for Saltburn Improvement Company).
MATERIALS: painted white firebrick from Pease's West
brickworks at Crook, Co Durham, with sandstone ashlar
dressings; coated Welsh slate roof with bands of fishscale and
PLAN: terraced, with 3 right bays; slightly convex in plan.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, attics and basement; 7-window range in
irregular bays. Steps up to C20 panelled door in fifth bay
quasi-Venetian stone surround, with side and overlights to
door, plain glazing to side windows and blocked segmental
light under stopped dripmould. Renewed glazing in
basket-headed stone surrounds of all windows except those on
Canted bay windows through basement and 3 floors in bays 1, 3,
4 & 7. Single lights in second bay; round turret projects from
sixth, to right of entrance, with canted side windows on
ground and first floor and single flanking lights on second.
Top floor has keyed segmental heads to sash windows in plain
Entrance bay has individual treatment with tripartite stone
mullion and transom window rising through first and second
floors, the transoms with carved quatrefoil bands, and
Venetian top window with shafts and keyed stopped dripmould.
Ground and first floor have elaborate cast-iron balconies,
with flowing forms, on iron brackets except in seventh bay
where ground-floor window projects from stone relieving arch
and the first-floor balcony is in line with the first-floor
window sill instead of projecting to follow the line of the
window as in other bays. Long brackets to cornices over first
and second floor canted bays.
All floors have impost bands. Eaves gutter cornice on long
brackets resting on string, raised to form half gable over
Mansard roof has inserted or renewed flat headed dormers and
large corniced brick stacks.
Entrance has square, corniced piers at foot of steps, with
elaborate balustrade supporting iron handrail.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings of arcaded iron with spike
dogbars in front of first 6 bays; similar railings on high
area wall in front of seventh bay curve to join gable wall.
HISTORY: built on site laid out to 1861 plan by George
Dickinson for the SIC and purchased by Anderson. When opened
in 1867 the hotel had 100 rooms.
(Industrial Archaeology Review: Spring 1980: Harrison JK and
Harrison A: 139; Wilson CS: The History of Saltburn: Saltburn
by Sea: 1983-: 65).
Listing NGR: NZ6658321572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings