This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5843 / 54°35'3"N
Longitude: -0.9738 / 0°58'25"W
OS Eastings: 466421
OS Northings: 521499
OS Grid: NZ664214
Mapcode National: GBR PHMF.ZF
Mapcode Global: WHF88.01LD
Plus Code: 9C6XH2MG+PF
Entry Name: 3, Diamond Street
Listing Date: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475451
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621SW DIAMOND STREET, Saltburn
802-1/10/33 (East side)
Factory, now offices, possibly originally warehouse. c1875.
Polychrome brick with some ashlar dressings; roof not visible.
Early Italian Renaissance style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3-window range, narrow central bay has
shallow brick porch: pilasters support ashlar springers of
round arch under herringbone-brick gable with stone coping.
6-panel door and semi-circular overlight. To right of door a
wide vehicle entrance has painted lintel. Two-light window at
left has polychrome brick voussoirs and bracketed ashlar sill;
central barleysugar shaft with crocket capital supporting
overlight with Romanesque glazing bars.
Similar treatment to left and right windows on first floor,
where central window is a single sash with similar treatment;
dark brick courses link head. Second floor has smaller sashes,
paired in outer bays, with chequered brick impost band and
bolder bands of colour in voussoirs. Coloured Lombard frieze
between end-brick kneelers supports renewed eaves gutter.
Right return gable brick; left return gable rendered.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: until 1875 the Saltburn Improvement Committee
insisted on white firebrick being used for frontages.
Company's minutes show approval on 8 November 1875 for shop,
house and warehouse for William Clayton in Milton Street. This
could be that warehouse, behind No.21 Milton Street (not
included) which is in similar materials and style.
(Industrial Archaeology Review: Spring 1980: Harrison JK and
Harrison A: 156; Cleveland County Council office files.: Notes
on Saltburn Improvement Committee minutes in Co. archives:
Listing NGR: NZ6642121499
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings