This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.912 / 51°54'43"N
Longitude: -2.0674 / 2°4'2"W
OS Eastings: 395463
OS Northings: 223726
OS Grid: SO954237
Mapcode National: GBR 2M5.04W
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.36XK
Entry Name: Pittville Pump Room
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475533
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SE PITTVILLE PARK
630-1/2/680 Pittville Pump Room
Pump room. 1825-30, with restorations and alterations of
1949-60. Architect John Forbes for William Pitt. Severe
trabeate building, long considered to be the finest in
Cheltenham. Ashlar over brick with slate roof and copper dome.
Greek Revival style, the details based on Stuart and Revett's
engravings of the Temple of Illissus.
PLAN: main T-shaped, apsidal hall, the front part through 2
storeys to dome with rear stairs and rooms; upper stage has
room to either side of dome, and rear apsidal room with
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9 first-floor window-range, the upper
stage set back and projecting colonnade around 3 sides of
ground floor. Returns have 5-first-floor windows and
full-height bow to rear. Central breakforward reads as a
slightly-projecting 6-column portico to lower colonnade with
Ionic columns after the Temple of Illissus continuing to a
group in antis at each end return; architrave and parapet with
sunk panels; surmounting figures of Hygeia, Hippocrates and
Aesculapius, originally sculpted by Lucius Gahagan of Bath,
are replacements c1980. To upper stage breakforward has paired
pilasters to ends and pilasters between windows throughout;
architrave and blocking course, centre raised as parapet with
similar sunk panels. Tall 6/6 sashes with battered tooled and
eared architraves throughout. Central entrance,
6-fielded-panel double doors with overlight with
margin-lights; further entrances to sides have double,
part-glazed doors with overlights with glazing bars. Dome with
windows to crown.
INTERIOR: main hall is T-plan with apsidal end and rises
through 2 storeys having square opening with
lozenge-and-anthemion with sunbursts to balustrade around
opening to dome. Fluted Ionic columns in antis to entrances on
3 sides and with pillars in apse; dentil architrave. To ends
of main range are round-arched niches. Coved ceilings with
paterae. Elaborate marble and scagliola pump. Former reading
room to rear right now entrance lobby etc. Open-well staircase
to rear, left to full height has rod and bobbin balusters,
stairwell has circular skylight with radial glazing bars.
Staircase to right a late C20 replacement. Between staircases
a corridor with egg-and-dart cornice and oval skylight; from
this corridor are short flights of stairs to rooms either side
of dome with shallow apses to ends and 3 shallow recesses
opposite; room to right (formerly the library) retains black
marble fireplace with carved embellishments to corners. Rear
apsidal room has scroll motif to ceiling frieze. 6- and
4-panel doors, some with incised Greek key motif to
architrave. Staircase to roof is at right and has stick
balusters. Cellar: well with brick cylindrical shaft approx
20m deep; the iron Old Pump flywheel and crank shaft remain,
casing balustrade has X-motif and central lion mask.
Round-arched tunnel leads to second well.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as a centrepiece for the town of
Pittville, undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42, the general
layout being designed by the architect John Forbes.
Blake describes it as, 'one of Cheltenham's finest Regency
buildings, (and) the largest and grandest of the town's spas'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 133-34; Sampson A and
Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 97;
Country Life 7 July 1960; Blake S: The Pittville Pump Room
1825-1980: Cheltenham: 1980-).
Listing NGR: SO9547223719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings