This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9053 / 51°54'19"N
Longitude: -2.0665 / 2°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 395519
OS Northings: 222977
OS Grid: SO955229
Mapcode National: GBR 2M5.DCN
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.4CCQ
Plus Code: 9C3VWW4M+49
Entry Name: Southend House
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475562
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NE PRESTBURY ROAD
630-1/11/697 (North side)
Villa, now flats. c1840-5. Stucco over brick with hipped slate
roof, stucco ridge and rear stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 + 3 first-floor windows,
those to left in full-height canted bay which continues around
angle as 5-sided bay. Stucco detailing includes pediments on
console brackets to ground-floor windows, and a bowed porch
with 2 'Tower of Winds' columns with Doric pilaster responds
and dentil entablature; tooled first-floor band; tooled
architraves to windows with sills on feet to first floor which
interrupt band. Overhanging eaves. 6/6 sashes throughout,
taller to ground floor, all in plain reveals and with sills.
Basement has replacement 1/1 sashes. Off-centre entrance,
flight of steps to double 4-fielded panel doors, bowed on
section and with fixed lights in sides of porch. Rear
elevation to Albert Road has a single-storey bow to ground
floor, surmounted by openwork balustrade, with tripartite
window with 6/6 between 2/2 sashes; otherwise 6/6 sashes
throughout, those to canted bay at angle have pediments on
console brackets. Right return has 4/4 staircase sash with
radial glazing to head and margin-lights.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original joinery including
panelled shutters to windows.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Abraham Tyler, builder agreed to purchase the
lot (1840), but later transferred it to Charles Cary without
the house having begun; it was then mortgaged to Revd Oliver
Cary of Charlton Kings (1840). Built as part of the
development of this area undertaken for Joseph Pitt in
1835-42, the general layout being designed by the architect
John Forbes. It was lived in by John Gregory Welch (in 1846)
who had built Arle House (demolished c1960).
Nos 32 to 66 (even) (qqv) form a group.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 74;
Cheltenham Local History Society Journal: White P: Arle House,
home of the Welch family: 1986-: 20).
Listing NGR: SO9551422972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings