This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8996 / 51°53'58"N
Longitude: -2.0764 / 2°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 394842
OS Northings: 222339
OS Grid: SO948223
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XJ0
Mapcode Global: VH947.YJP4
Entry Name: 52-58, Promenade
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475622
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/739 (South East side)
05/05/72 Nos.52-58 (Even)
Terrace of 4 houses, now 5 shops. c1820-40 with later
additions and alterations including conversion to shops
probably pre-1845 and ground-floor shop fronts of c1892 and
c1970s. Stucco over brick with slate roof, tall brick and
studd ridge stacks and iron balustrade.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows (arranged 3:2:2).
Off-centre right pedimented breakforward. Art Nouveau
detailing to 3 left shop fronts. Stucco detailing includes
pilasters with sunk panels to breakforward; continuous
cornice, wide eaves and central pediment. First floor has 6/6
sashes throughout, the outer 5 in stepped reveals. Shop
fronts: that to right is late C20 plate glass; otherwise a
unit of 3, retaining pilasters, fascia board and dentil frieze
with embellished dividers supporting balustrade. Shop front to
left (No.52) is of 1892 with glazed panel to left and
embellished mullion, then canted pane into doorway with Art
Nouveau heart-shaped glazing bars and original brass mermaid
handle, to right a curved pane; deep frieze has intersecting
glazing bars; initialed 'P' to left part. Otherwise
replacement plate glass frontage and entrances.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: balustrade across 3 left shop fronts has
Art Nouveau intersecting motif with foliate embellishments and
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
The shopfront to No.52 is a fine example of its type.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's
Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 29; Rowe G:
Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12-14).
Listing NGR: SO9484522324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings