This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8988 / 51°53'55"N
Longitude: -2.0772 / 2°4'37"W
OS Eastings: 394786
OS Northings: 222257
OS Grid: SO947222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X8J
Mapcode Global: VH947.YJ7P
Entry Name: 84 and 86, Promenade
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475637
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/745 (South East side)
12/03/55 Nos.84 AND 86
Pair of terraced houses, now shops. c1820-40 with later
additions and alterations including later C19 ground-floor
shop front to left (No.84); mid-late C20 shop front to right
(No.86). Ashlar, now stuccoed, over brick with slate roof and
tall brick end and party-wall stacks (that to centre renewed);
rear has red rubbed brick dressings. Double depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attics, 6 first-floor windows. Stucco
detailing includes: tooled architraves with decorative
moulding to first-floor windows, and with roll-moulding to
second floor windows; moulded first-floor band embellished
with small roundels at left; first-floor sill band with
further projecting sills on feet. Crown and dentil entablature
and blocking course. 1/1 sashes to first and second floors.
Attic roof dormers have pediments, otherwise concealed. Ground
floor: to left shop front has tooled pilasters with roundels,
frieze and dentil cornice. Otherwise late C20 glazing and
entrances. Rear: retains 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes with flat
arches of rubbed brick.
INTERIOR: original plasterwork includes, to left are remains
of anthemion motif to ground-floor cornice. First floor has
egg-and-dart cornices. To right, centre 'room' has remains of
frieze with anthemion motif to cornice. Hall has remains of
frieze with acanthus modillions and fleurons to ground floor
and with lilies to frieze to first and second floors.
Narrow-open-well staircase from first floor has chamfered
stick balusters and mahogany handrail.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)). By 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Buildings on the NW were the first to be developed.
Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Guide (published 1845) he
noted that 'nearly the whole of the left-hand (SE) side .. is
devoted to professional or business establishments'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).
Listing NGR: SO9478722250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings