This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8982 / 51°53'53"N
Longitude: -2.0796 / 2°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 394619
OS Northings: 222186
OS Grid: SO946221
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.WKS
Mapcode Global: VH947.WKY6
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXC+75
Entry Name: Cheltenham Ladies College with Attached Walls Railings Gates and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475840
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Tagged with: Architectural structure
SO9422SE ST GEORGE'S ROAD
630-1/13/821 (South side)
05/05/72 Cheltenham Ladies College with
attached walls, railings, gates and
College with attached railings, walls and piers. 1873 with
later additions and alterations including 1876, 1881-2, 1884,
1887, 1890, 1893-4, 1898, 1904, 1907, 1909, 1913 and 1927.
Architects: John Middleton (including main range to St
George's Road), HA Prothero (1889-90 Montpellier Street wing),
LW Bernard (link building), ER Robson (1896-8, further
additions including Princess Hall). Rough-faced stone over
brick with red and black tile roof, stone end and internal
stacks. Mostly in decorative Gothic Domestic style.
PLAN: a quadrangle with a long wing up to St George's Road by
Waller and Son; further block to Bayshill Road 1936, also in
EXTERIOR: range to St George's Road: main range of 2 storeys,
with 3-storey centre, 8 first-floor windows arranged
1:1:2:1:1:2; with 2-storey, 2-bay infill at left and
one-and-a-half storey lodge to far left. Main range: 2nd and
4th (entrance) bays break forwards and have off-set
buttresses. Quoins, chamfered plinth. Ground floor, to left
are 2-light mullion-and-transom, trefoil-headed windows under
4-centred arches; at right are two 2-light windows with
straight-headed windows and panel of carved foliage between,
otherwise 3-stepped-and-cusped-light mullion and transom
windows with 4-centred arches. Off-centre right entrance:
double pointed doors with glazed traceried lights to upper
part with chamfered head and triple-chamfered moulded
surround. Further pedestrian entrance at right with plank door
and similar pedestrian entrance to wall at far right. First
floor: mainly 2-trefoil-light windows with quatrefoils to
heads, all with gables over, except to second bay a similar
3-light window. Over entrance a canted and gabled oriel window
with 3 stepped cusped lights. Range at left has mullion and
transom ground-floor windows and 3-light mullion windows to
first floor. Off-set buttresses to ground floor, that to
centre supports plinth and statue in niche. Low parapet. Lodge
at left has arcade of 5 trefoil-headed Romanesque-style
windows and granite columnettes between, with continuous
trefoiled hoodmould. Stepped cornice. Peaked roof with
triangular roof dormers with trefoil and quatrefoil windows.
Left return (to Montpellier Street). Mainly 2 storeys, some
attics to gables, and 3-stage tower with tile spire. Mainly
3-light mullion and transom windows, the upper lights cusped,
windows to first floor are stepped, those to ground-floor are
straight-headed. Off-centre tower has pointed openings in
moulded surrounds and plank door. To south of Robson block is
a single-storey hall which has buttressed elevation with
dentil cornice and mullion windows, with dormers and louvred
pyramidal-roofed ventilators, facing east.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original plasterwork, woodwork
and stained glass.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: abutting entrance are railings on low
chamfered walls have alternate sword handle finials with 2
pedestrian gates to right and left of main entrance and
further pedestrian entrance in wall at left between piers with
off-sets and cross-gabled and peaked caps. Railings continue
to left return with 2 further piers.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the school moved to this site in the 1870s.
Walls abut Railings and Gatepiers to Fauconberg House, St
George's Road (qv).
A large, late Victorian school complex, the evolution of which
can be clearly read in the structure, but which is
architecturally most notable for the earlier parts by
Middleton and Prothero; the other elevations form a
significant and familiar feature of the streetscape.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 136; Illustrated Guide
to the Cheltenham Ladies' College: 1931-).
Listing NGR: SO9455922094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings