This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8969 / 51°53'48"N
Longitude: -2.0804 / 2°4'49"W
OS Eastings: 394566
OS Northings: 222046
OS Grid: SO945220
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.2VH
Mapcode Global: VH947.WLK5
Entry Name: Clarence House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475673
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/757 (North West side)
Clarence House and attached railings
Villa, now offices, and attached railings. c1830-34. This
house is sometimes attributed to JB Papworth, though probably
by John Forbes. Stucco over brick with concealed roof, 4 tall
stucco stacks to ends of main range, and iron balcony railings
probably by Marshalls with a motif derived from LN Cottingham.
PLAN: double-depth with left side hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement, 3 bays (the end bays are
lower) with first floor windows arranged 1:3:1, and
single-storey entrance bay set back to left. The central
3-window range breaks forwards and is taller. Stucco detailing
includes end Doric pilasters to ground and first floors to
central range; with single pilasters between windows to each
floor to ends, those to ground floor are Doric and surmounted
by shaped frieze forming elliptically-arched arcade over
windows and cornice; those to first floor are Ionic and are
surmounted by entablature. End Doric pilasters to lower ranges
through ground and first floors, with frieze and cornice. 6/6
sashes throughout, those to basement have margin-lights, all
in plain reveals and with sills; outer ground-floor windows
have floating cornices. Entrance to left: flight of 6
roll-edged steps to double 4-panel door with overlight, Doric
pilastered surround and architrave which continues to return.
Rear has first-floor band interrupted by full-height pilaster
strips between windows and to ends with entablature. Left
return has four first-floor windows, the outer windows blind,
otherwise 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: open-well staircase has rod and central bobbin
balusters and wreathed handrail; reputed to retain original
plasterwork including guilloche moulded cornice to hall.
Several marble fireplaces. Original joinery remains including
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: continuous balcony to ground floor, main
range has scroll and anthemion motif, tent roofs on brackets
over, to each bay. Railings to sides of steps have heart and
anthemion motif; lyre and heart grille to right return.
Further railings with scroll motif abut front and rear for
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Buildings on the NW side were the first to be developed.
Shown on Merrett's Map of 1834.
Forms part of an outstanding group of villas overlooking
Imperial Gardens with Nos 121 and 123 (qv), 125 and 127 (qv)
and Nos 129 and 131 (qv) and The Queen's Hotel (qv),
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's
Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 29,40; Merrett HS:
Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9456022044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings