This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8974 / 51°53'50"N
Longitude: -2.0799 / 2°4'47"W
OS Eastings: 394601
OS Northings: 222093
OS Grid: SO946220
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.2YN
Mapcode Global: VH947.WKTV
Plus Code: 9C3VVWWC+W3
Entry Name: Numbers 125 and 127 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475671
Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/755 (North West side)
12/03/55 Nos.125 AND 127
and attached railings
Pair of semi-detached villas, now offices and attached
railings. c1834-40, shown as laid out on Merrett's Map of
1834. Architect probably John Forbes. Stucco over brick with
concealed roof and iron railings.
PLAN: double pile with outer side halls; originally
single-storey (now 2-storey) service wings to rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic on basement, 8 first-floor
windows arranged 1:1:4:1:1. Outer and centre bays break
forwards; central breakforward articulated by 6 pilasters
through ground and first-floor windows with Composite-type
capitals: 2 to centre, between windows and to ends;
entablature. 6/6 sashes where original, those to first floor,
outer bays in tooled architraves with cornices on console
brackets. Basement has blind openings and 6/6 sashes. Attics
have sliding 6-pane sashes; windows set behind screen of
pillars, panels to ends and pilasters to centre, crowning
cornice and blocking course. End entrances: flight of 6 steps
(roll-edged where original) to distyle fluted Doric porches
with wreaths to frieze; double 4-panel doors and overlights
with lozenge glazing bars and margin-lights. Returns have 3
windows: outer blind, central 6/6 sash between paired
pilasters. Rear retains 6/6 and 3/3 sashes.
INTERIOR: retains original plasterwork; acanthus cornice and
ceiling frieze to front room, hall has guilloche motif to
ceiling; dogleg staircase with wreathed handrail and alternate
ornate and stick balusters. Original joinery includes panelled
shutters. Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: railings to sides of porches probably by
Marshalls, the motif derived from LN Cottingham and stick
HISTORICAL NOTE: Forbes acquired the plot for No.129 Promenade
(qv) in 1833. He became architect and surveyor to the
Pittville Estate in 1835-6. The Promenade was laid out in 1818
as a tree-lined drive to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the
Queen's Hotel (qv)) from the Colonnade on the High Street, in
1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on
each side. Buildings on the NW were the first to be developed.
Forms a distinguished group of semi-detached villas with Nos
121 and 123 (qv) and Nos 129 and 131 (qv), which with No.133
(qv) and The Queen's Hotel overlook Imperial Gardens.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 139-40,146; Chatwin A:
Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984:
29,40; Williams GA: Guide Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Blake
S: 'The Unfortunate Mr Forbes': Cheltenham Local History
Society Journal: 1989-: 7-27).
Listing NGR: SO9460122103
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings