History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Burton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2614 / 53°15'40"N

Longitude: -3.0323 / 3°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 331235

OS Northings: 374317

OS Grid: SJ312743

Mapcode National: GBR 7Z8Q.9L

Mapcode Global: WH87Z.D983

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 27 December 1962

Last Amended: 29 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475679

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH64

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Little Neston and Burton

Built-Up Area: Burton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Burton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Neston

Listing Text


NESTON

SJ3174 NESTON ROAD, Burton
794-1/11/1 (East side)
27/12/62 The Old School
(Formerly Listed as:
NESTON ROAD, Burton
(East side)
Bishop Wilson School)

II

School with schoolmaster's cottage attached, now one dwelling.
Dated 1724; later alterations and additions, including rear
extension of 1890. Brown brick in English Garden Wall bond
with red sandstone dressings; slate roof with coped gables and
single gable stack of brick.
EXTERIOR: school is 1 storey, 5 bays, end bays gabled and
projecting; schoolmaster's cottage to left is 1 bay, 1 storey
and attic. Cottage has a projecting stone plinth, flush
quoins, projecting band over ground floor window and ogee
moulded eaves cornice. Ground floor window is a multi-paned
horizontal sliding sash under a brick flat arch with stone
keyblock. The attic window is a 2-light casement with glazing
bars in a flat roofed half dormer with side pilasters. Between
the windows there is an ogee-topped tablet bearing the date
1724.
School end bays project forward and have coped gables with
kneelers: centre bays surmounted by shallow coped parapet
fronting a wide lead gutter. Left end bay has a boarded door
under segment-arched lintel with turning piece: right end bay
has a large casement divided into 9 panes under projecting
band with key: both gables have moulded eaves cornices broken
by cross-glazed oval windows beneath floating cornices. Centre
bays windows are tall, the outer ones of 15 panes, the centre
one of paired 10-pane lights, all in keyed raised surrounds
and with transoms continued across full width of front and as
raised band.
Right return: stepped lancets in gable wall.
INTERIOR: right room has both strutted and king post trusses
with cambered tie beams: left room firebeam and exposed
ceiling beam. Cottage has C18 hob-grate in bedroom, also wide
boarded door.
HISTORY: the building was founded by Bishop Robert Wilson and
formerly known as Bishop Wilson School.


Listing NGR: SJ3123574317

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.