This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8963 / 51°53'46"N
Longitude: -2.0803 / 2°4'48"W
OS Eastings: 394574
OS Northings: 221981
OS Grid: SO945219
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.2WT
Mapcode Global: VH947.WLMM
Entry Name: Queens Hotel
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387698
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475684
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/765 (South East side)
12/03/55 Queen's Hotel
Hotel. 1838. Architects, RW and C Jearrad. Built on the site
of the Sherborne Spa at a cost of »47,000. Stucco over brick
with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 13 first-floor windows arranged 4:5:4,
with 4-storey, 3-window range set back to right. Stucco
detailing includes ground-floor horizontal rustication, drawn
into voussoirs over window recesses, with crowns and 'VR' to
keystones; deep round-arched recesses and panelled reveals to
windows and entrance. Ground floor breaks forwards and is
surmounted by 3/4 engaged columns with capitals modelled on
those of the Temple of Jupiter, Rome, breaking forwards again
to centre and with hexastyle pedimented 'portico'. Crowning
dentil entablature with modillion cornice. Ground floor has
mainly 3/6 windows with radial glazing bars to heads. First
and second floors have mainly 6/6 sashes, taller to first
floor. Third floor has 3/3 sashes. Central entrance has
double, glazed doors and fanlight.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original plasterwork and joinery.
A detailed description of the hotel in 1838, and a summary of
its significance in an international context, can be found in
Pevsner (1976) who described Queen's Hotel and 'one of the
finest early Victorian English Hotels'.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a notable early example of the larger hotels
which were erected in some resorts before the great 'railway
The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a tree-lined avenue from
the Colonnade in the High Street to the Sherborne Spa (later
named the Imperial Spa), on the site of which the Queen's
Hotel now stands. By 1826 it was a carriage drive with
spacious gravelled walk on either side. Notable guests to the
Hotel include Edward VII (when Prince of Wales), Prince Louis
Jerome Napoleon, the Rajah of Sarawak, Elgar, and Sir Arthur
The hotel opened 21 July 1838, its first lessee was Richard
Liddell. It had over 120 bedrooms, 25 sitting rooms,
apartments for servants, drawing rooms, coffee and billiard
rooms. During the Second World War it was used as an American
Services Club. Verey describes it as, 'a very strong design'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 140,146; Sampson A and
Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 69,105;
Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969:
22; Sampson A: The Queen's Hotel, Cheltenham: Cheltenham:
1981-; Pevsner N: A History of Building Types: London: 1976-:
Listing NGR: SO9457122001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings