This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5777 / 53°34'39"N
Longitude: -2.4255 / 2°25'31"W
OS Eastings: 371926
OS Northings: 409099
OS Grid: SD719090
Mapcode National: GBR CWH2.P6
Mapcode Global: WH97V.QB6L
Entry Name: Silverwell House
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475928
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Great Lever
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/02/2015
(Formerly listed as Silverwell House, BRADSHAWGATE (East side (off).
Previously listed as: Former NCC's quarters, SILVERWELL STREET))
House. 1790, for John Pilkington, a cotton manufacturer. Brick, painted to former front elevation, with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3-window range, with central entrance. Pedimented doorcase to this entrance (now disused), with 12-pane sash window over. Flanking full-height canted bays with sash windows. Rear elevation has irregular fenestration, and main doorway to left of centre, a 6-panelled door in moulded wood architrave with flat entablature. Subsidiary doorway inserted and in added porch to left. Round arched stair windows above the main doorway, and a similar round arched window at an intermediate height to secondary stairs to left. 12-pane sash windows in attic storey, other windows 4-pane sashes or renewed in original openings. All windows have flat arched brick heads and stone sills. Moulded eaves cornice. End wall stacks.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the front of the building was largely contained within a drill hall at the time of Listing. When the hall was built in 1887 for the 3rd Volunteer Brigade, Lancashire Division of the Royal Artillery, the house itself became the armoury, stores, canteen lecture hall, offices etc. The architect of the drill hall, and hence of the modifications to the house, was Captain Marshall Robinson. The drill hall was thought locally to be the largest covered drill shed in Britain when it was built, but it was extensively reconstructed during the C20 and was excluded from the Listing of the house. In the latter half of the C20 the drill hall (including the house) was used as a Sorting Office and Sports Centre. The Sports Centre was demolished during the late C20/early C21 leaving just the house extant and utilised as offices.
(Bolton Journal, August 6th, 1887: Bolton; Bolton and District Civic Trust: Buildings of Bolton: Bolton: 1983-).”
Listing NGR: SD7192609099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings