This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5897 / 53°35'22"N
Longitude: -2.4724 / 2°28'20"W
OS Eastings: 368827
OS Northings: 410450
OS Grid: SD688104
Mapcode National: GBR CV5X.JX
Mapcode Global: WH97T.Z1VD
Entry Name: 759, 759A and 761-773, Chorley Old Road
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475955
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Smithills
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Halliwell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
CHORLEY OLD ROAD (South side)
Nos.759, 759A and 761-773 (Odd)
Row of houses, forming a terrace through piecemeal development between c1730 and 1860, No.765 dated 1785 on C20 plaque. Stone with stone flagged, slate and concrete tiled roofs. Nos. 759 and 759A, and Nos. 761 and 763 forms a single phase, a terrace of c1860.
EXTERIOR: two storeys, four window range. Shop in Nos. 759 and 759A, with entrance across angle of row, and small contemporary shop window in moulded architrave. Upper windows renewed in original openings. Nos. 761 and 763 continue this terrace; painted over stone, with stone flagged roofs. Each a single unit, double pile plan. Round arched doorways with keystones and imposts, the windows all renewed in original openings with wedge lintels. Two chimneys, breaking through the front roof slope.
No.765 built in 1785 as the tollhouse. Stone with concrete tiled roof. Canted angle with entrance up steps with cast-iron railing, and early C20 recessed oriel windows with small upper panes to each floor facing the street. Civic Trust plaque over doorway records that it was built in 1785 as a tollhouse for the Doffcocker Turnpike Trust. Gable chimney to right.
Nos.767 and 769 form a pair and may be the earliest buildings in the row, perhaps early C18. Roughly coursed and squared stone in small blocks with slate roof. Two storeys, two window range. No.767 a two-unit plan with central door, No.769 a single unit plan with entrance to left. Inserted windows to No.767 (including canted oriel window to right of doorway possibly a C19 insertion); sixteen-pane sash window to No.769. Upper windows are renewed horizontally sliding sashes, each of three lights. Brick chimney at junction with No.771 to right.
Nos.771 and 773 were also built as a pair, probably late C18. Stone with stone flagged roof. Two storeys, two window range, comprising two single unit, double pile plans, with doorways to right. Renewed windows in No.771, the openings themselves possibly inserted during the C19. No.773 retains sixteen- and two-pane sash windows. Gable chimney to left, ridge chimney to centre.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Bolton and District Civic Trust: Buildings of Bolton: Bolton: 1983).
Listing NGR: SD6882710450
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings