This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8891 / 51°53'20"N
Longitude: -2.0686 / 2°4'7"W
OS Eastings: 395372
OS Northings: 221176
OS Grid: SO953211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.KSW
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.3S75
Entry Name: Thirlestaine Hall (Excluding 1940s Wing to North East)
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476138
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9521SW THIRLESTAINE ROAD
630-1/24/943 (North side)
05/05/72 Thirlestaine Hall (excluding 1940s
wing to north-east)
(Formerly Listed as:
Thirlestaine Hall excluding modern
wing to NE)
Large house, now offices. 1855-7 for Johan Andreas Frerichs,
architect: Daniel Humphris; with observatory c1909 for John
Player and later conversion by GH Ryland. Stucco over brick
with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. Italianate
PLAN: double-depth plan with central hallway & range to rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows with 2-storey,
3-window orangery to left. Main range: ashlar detailing
includes, to main range, rustication to ground floor
surmounted by first-floor band and quoins above; frieze and
wide eaves on brackets. Ground floor has French windows with
margin lights; first floor has 8/8 sashes in plain reveals and
with sills on feet, tooled architraves with cornices. Central
entrance, Roman Doric porch with paired columns, entablature
with triglyphs and metopes and balustrade above. To rear, on
the roof, is an observatory with a copper dome. Rear has
canted central bay. Similar detailing as front facade.
Orangery, to left. 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows.
First-floor band, crowning entablature. Ground floor windows
are round-headed, with multi-pane casements; 6/6 and central
6/6 between 2/2 sashes above.
INTERIOR: hall has 2 columnar Corinthian screen; double
drawing room to right has marble fireplaces and heavy
plasterwork with deep acanthus friezes (similar to those in
No.83 Pittville Lawn (qv)); doorcases have architraves with
Neo-Classical type friezes and cornices. Many rooms reputed to
retain plasterwork and fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was occupied by the American
Services of Supply during the Second World War (1942-5).
Large 1940s wing to north east added when the house became an
hotel is not included.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 131; Cheltenham Local History Society Journal: Blake S:
A short history of Thirlestaine Hall: 1986-: 52-56).
Listing NGR: SO9535821170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings