This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5821 / 53°34'55"N
Longitude: -2.3928 / 2°23'34"W
OS Eastings: 374088
OS Northings: 409574
OS Grid: SD740095
Mapcode National: GBR CWQ0.RM
Mapcode Global: WH97W.67T6
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476247
Location: Bolton, BL2
Electoral Ward/Division: Breightmet
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton St James, Breightmet
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD70NW ROSCOW AVENUE, Breightmet
797-1/4/236 (West side (off))
Church of St James
Parish church. 1855-6. WR Corson, architect. Coursed and
squared stone with heavy slate roofs. Early English style.
West tower and brooch spire, nave with 2 aisles, clerestory
EXTERIOR: clasping buttresses to 3-stage tower with plate
traceried west window, clock and plate traceried bell-chamber
lights. Corbel table then spire with lucarnes and weather
Plate traceried west windows in aisles, which have paired
lancets north and south, and stepped triple lancet windows to
west of south door which is in gabled porch with shafts to
chamfered arch. Similar paired lancets to clerestory.
Vestry as cross-wing to north-east, with octagonal stack on
gable end. Plate traceried chancel windows to north and south,
and geometric traceried east window of 3 lights.
INTERIOR: stilted west tower arch, and nave arcade of 6 bays
with short alternately cylindrical and octagonal shafts
carrying double chamfered arches.
Curved principal trusses carried on wall posts support king
post and collar, with intermediate scissor-braced trusses.
Steep chancel arch, and common rafter roof to chancel.
Encaustic tiled floor to sanctuary. Stone reredos erected as
memorial for WW I.
Choir stalls and open pews apparently C19 (possibly original);
pulpit dated 1927.
Stained glass includes one north window signed Reuben Bennett
of Manchester, 1904; WJ Pearce of Manchester, 1912, and Heaton
Butler and Bayne, 1901, in south aisle.
(BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).
Listing NGR: SD7408809574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings