This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5817 / 53°34'54"N
Longitude: -2.4313 / 2°25'52"W
OS Eastings: 371544
OS Northings: 409539
OS Grid: SD715095
Mapcode National: GBR CWG0.FS
Mapcode Global: WH97V.M7GK
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew and St George (United Reformed)
Listing Date: 30 April 1999
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476253
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Halliwell
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 7109 NE ST GEORGE'S ROAD
797-1/14/797 (South side)
30/4/99 United Reformed Church of St
Andrew and St George
Includes: St George's Road Congregational Church KNOWLSEY STREET. Congregational church. 1863. Oliver and lamb of Newcastle Upon Tyne, architects. Coursed and squared stone with slate roof. Built over a basement with school rooms etc. Tower at north-east angle, formerly surmounted by a spire (demolished c1960).
INTERIOR: eastern vestibule remodelled 1938, with rich wall panelling. Body of church has S bay arcade with slender clustered shafts (possibly cast-iron), partially encased in wood. Horse-shoe gallery to east, north and south occupying 2 easternmost bays, which have shafts in 2 tiers. The gallery was remodelled 1938. Short shafts with foliate capitals to chancel arch, the chancel itself refitted in 1936 with wood wall panelling, choir stalls, pulpit and organ loft, as the gift of William Hulme, 2nd Viscount Leverhulme. Paired foiled lancets with rose window over in west wall, containing stained glass of c1870. Cambered trusses to wagon roof, with decorative wrought-iron braces to trusses. Stained glass in north and south aisles c1936-1938, memorials to lord and Lady Leverhulme, and members of the Tillotson family. 3 further stained glass windows moved from the church of St Andrew. Lord Leverhulme worshipped in the church and was married in it in 1874.
(Bolton Journal, 6 September 1884, Pictorial Bolton Series XXXII: Bolton).
Listing NGR: SD7154409539
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings