This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3383 / 50°20'17"N
Longitude: -4.7912 / 4°47'28"W
OS Eastings: 201476
OS Northings: 52437
OS Grid: SX014524
Mapcode National: GBR ZX.9YMF
Mapcode Global: FRA 08V4.P7X
Plus Code: 9C2Q86Q5+8G
Entry Name: The Red Bank
Listing Date: 2 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476282
Location: St. Austell, Cornwall, PL25
Civil Parish: St Austell
Built-Up Area: St Austell
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Austell
Church of England Diocese: Truro
868/1/10107 CHURCH STREET
02-AUG-99 (East side)
The Red Bank
A large "Queen Anne" style 4 storeyed bank building occupying a prominent location in the centre of St Austell. The building was designed by Silvanus Trevail and completed in 1898 for Messrs. Coode, Shilson and Co. The triple fronted structure is constructed with red brick although the detailing utilises terra-cotta. The steep Delabole slate roof with 3 attic gables, each corner surmounted by small very steep conical slate roof with bellcote and ogee lead dome and finial; intermediate roof dormers with casements; red clay crested ridge tiles; tall brick panelled axial stacks and a very tall lateral stack to left-hand return over paired pilasters (upper floors) dividing the flanking bays, all stacks with moulded entablature.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; slightly asymmetrical 2:3:2-window (1st floor) 3-bay centre with curved corners plus 3 x 2-window bays, with gabled bay on its left, to left-hand angled return, and 2-window bay to right-hand angled and gabled return. The whole front has plinth, entablature between floors, and machicolated and moulded eaves cornice between the gables. Central gabled bay and other gabled bays have pediments and rise taller: the central bay of the centre elevation and the far left gables have central acroterion with a round-arched pediment and elaborate terra-cotta detail including the pedimented hoods of the windows below and 2 windows within the main pediment, the other 1-window gable has plain triangular pediment over elaborate frieze, all have panelled end acroteria on paired brackets over pilasters dividing the bays, the ground floor pilasters with rustication and surmounted by small pediments. Ground-floor openings have keyed round arches on panelled pilasters, the other floors with moulded architraves, those to 1st floor and 2nd floor of gabled bays have keyed segmental arches and eared architraves. There are ornate latticed friezes under the 2nd-floor windows of the gabled bays and all the bays of the left-hand return. Main pedimented doorway is to left of centre front and there is another doorway with flanking pilasters to wider bay at far left of left-hand return and on its right are shop windows to 3 bays.
INTERIOR not inspected except to note original open-string staircase with ramped handrail over turned and fluted balusters.
A good example of this Cornish architect's work, reflecting the influence of contemporary architects such as Paul Waterhouse.
Sources West Briton 18th June 1896
Listing NGR: SX0147552436
Other nearby listed buildings