This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3041 / 53°18'14"N
Longitude: -2.373 / 2°22'22"W
OS Eastings: 375238
OS Northings: 378637
OS Grid: SJ752786
Mapcode National: GBR CZW7.19
Mapcode Global: WH997.J66V
Entry Name: Former Kings Coffee House and Gaskell Memorial Tower
Listing Date: 18 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476368
Location: Knutsford, Cheshire East, WA16
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Knutsford
Built-Up Area: Knutsford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Knutsford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ7478 KING STREET
792-1/3/47 (West side)
Former Kings Coffee House and
Gaskell Memorial Tower
Coffee house and council offices, incorporating Gaskell
Memorial tower, now restaurant. 1907-1908. By W Longworth. For
Richard Harding Watt. Coursed and squared rubble with flat
STYLE: Eclectic Italianate.
PLAN: asymmetrical with council chamber forming main range,
the Gaskell Memorial tower projecting forward of this to the
left, the entrance block of the former coffee house projecting
to the right, leaving a small courtyard between them. Screen
wall to courtyard to right, with pantiled roof above. 4-window
range of coffee house and former ballroom facing on to
courtyard, which is closed to the rear by screen of Roman
EXTERIOR: main entrance at corner of coffee house block, in
recessed porch. The angle is carried on an octagonal column
carrying inscriptions in a variety of typography, and richly
carved low relief bands. Oriel window alongside with small
panes, and 3-windows to first floor below stepped parapet.
Tower to left with external stair, tiny bow window to ground
floor, and upper window divided by a heavy transom. Domed cap
carried on open lantern. Small courtyard recessed beyond
tower, with windows of council offices in rear range.
Gaskell Memorial Tower closes this central courtyard to the
left. Its white stone changes to yellow sandstone above the
first floor. Recessed bow window to ground floor, and bust in
niche over. Square oriel window offset above. Randomly
projecting blocks, and bronze bust on inner face. Arcaded
windows to upper storey, and open upper stage articulated by
pilasters. Gateway to passage adjoins tower to left, with
pantiled floor above archway.
INTERIOR: the internal planning remains substantially
unaltered, and much of the original interior design survives,
including 2 fire surrounds with copper hoods to ground floor,
Boarded and panelled walling in lower rooms and former council
chamber, and a mural in the former coffee house.
An interesting composition, the architect clearly expressing
awareness of the bold work of other Edwardian Free Style
contemporaries, most notably Holden.
Listing NGR: SJ7523878637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings