History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastgate Church of England Infants School and Teacher's House and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2355 / 53°14'7"N

Longitude: -0.5306 / 0°31'50"W

OS Eastings: 498168

OS Northings: 371945

OS Grid: SK981719

Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.4NN

Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.TXHZ

Entry Name: Eastgate Church of England Infants School and Teacher's House and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 15 August 1973

Last Amended: 20 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388557

English Heritage Legacy ID: 486002

Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln

Town: Lincoln

Electoral Ward/Division: Minster

Built-Up Area: Lincoln

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Peter-in-Eastgate with St Margaret in the close

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Lincoln

Listing Text


LINCOLN

SK9871NW GREETWELL GATE
1941-1/10/132 (North side)
15/08/73 Eastgate C of E Infants school,
teacher's house & boundary wall

II

Formerly known as: Eastgate Primary School GREETWELL GATE.
School with attached teacher's house and boundary wall.
Founded 1850 by a Miss Cookson, rebuilt 1881-82 by William
Watkins of Lincoln. Brick with stone dressings and slate
roofs. Single ridge stack with grouped octagonal flues, and an
external side wall stack. Picturesque Tudor Revival style.
Chamfered plinth, buttresses, coped gables with kneelers.
Front has an off-centre recessed entrance bay with a
buttressed gabled porch, with 4-centred arched doorway with
hoodmould. Above it, a scrolled datestone. On either side,
single ogee headed lights.
To left, a projecting gabled wing, with a 3-light stone
mullioned casement, and above, a similar 2-light casement.
To right, school hall, with three 4-light ogee-headed
casements. Each gable has a similar 2-light window, and the
east gable has also a similar 3-light window with stepped
head.
North-east range has a similar window in each gable.
INTERIOR: arch braced double purlin roof in the hall.
Outside, a slotted brick boundary wall with chamfered plinth
and gabled stone coping. 2 off-centre gatepiers with
crenellated octagonal caps. Rounded corner to south-east.
Approx. 35m long.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 515).


Listing NGR: SK9816871945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.