This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7462 / 53°44'46"N
Longitude: -1.4803 / 1°28'49"W
OS Eastings: 434368
OS Northings: 427881
OS Grid: SE343278
Mapcode National: GBR LT33.9V
Mapcode Global: WHDBY.73BF
Entry Name: Rothwell Infants School
Listing Date: 25 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486720
Location: Leeds, LS26
Electoral Ward/Division: Rothwell
Built-Up Area: Rothwell
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rothwell Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE32NW CARLTON SCHOOL
1927/5/10001 Rothwell Infants School
Board school and attached school house. 1872, with minor late C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick with ashlar and terracotta dressings, Welsh slate roofs with ashlar coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials. Various brick chimney stacks. Chamfered plinth. Gothic Revival style. Single storey with 2 storey house.
Main north-west front has former school master's house to left in slightly projecting gabled wing ground and first floor cill bands. Recessed Gothic-style doorway with polychromatic pointed arch and ashlar hood, to right a 3-light casement window and above, a single and a 2-light, casement windows. Small ventilator in apex of gable. Recessed centre has 6-window façade; central and right windows have large 6-pane windows and chamfered cills. Left window has 5 stone steps to former boys entrance, double plank doors with ornate iron hinges and tripartite overlight. Remaining windows have casements with glazing bar upper lights. Brick buttresses with set-offs between these openings. Right gable has large 3-light window with transoms and graduated lights and a pointed relieving arch triple. Arch has alternating brick and stone voussoirs and moulded ashlar hood. Ashlar band above inscribed BOARD SCHOOL.
South-west front has 12 window façade arranged 2, 3, 3, 4. To left to 2 cross casement, then 3 tall cross casement windows which extend through the eaves to small coped gables. Off-centre later projection has 3 small windows, then 4 further cross casement windows.
Rear schoolyard facades, to left gable-end of south-west front has large pointed arch with 3 windows and above large pointed relieving arch with brick and stone voussoirs, flanked by single similar windows. Apex of gable has 5 blind lancets.
Main classrooms have pair of gables each with large 3-light graduated windows with transoms and pointed relieving arches.
Small detached nursery wing to south has street front with tall central cross mullion window projecting through eaves to gabled dormer above, either side single 2-light windows, beyond to right another tall cross mullion window which projects into gable, to left blank wall with blind dormer above.
Northwest front has doorway to left with elaborate faience surround with segmental pediment, to right a graduated 4-light window in gable.
INTERIOR has exposed wooden roofs supported on ashlar corbels to all classrooms and hall. Most rooms retain original 6-panel doors and dado panelling. Fragments of former glazed dividing screen still survive in some classrooms.
Listing NGR: SE3436827881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings