This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0614 / 51°3'41"N
Longitude: -1.318 / 1°19'4"W
OS Eastings: 447886
OS Northings: 129342
OS Grid: SU478293
Mapcode National: GBR 861.9LM
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.SD7
Plus Code: 9C3W3M6J+HQ
Entry Name: 1, Archery Lane
Listing Date: 5 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487917
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4729 SE ARCHERY LANE
869/5/10013 Peninsula Barracks
05-SEP-00 (North side)
Guard house; later post office, now house. 1901-5. Red brick with terracotta dressings, central brick cross-ridge stack and slate roof. Georgian Revival style. Single-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: one-and-a-half storeys; 6-window range. A regular front with rusticated brick quoins, frieze, and coped end gables with a terracotta string and oculus; a verandah on iron posts extends along the front. Ground-floor segmental-arched 6/6 pane sashes, above the verandah are small segmental-arched openings with keys rising into the frieze, the 2 to the left more widely-spaced with 8 panes, 3 to the right with 15 panes. A left-hand single-storey section with hipped roof, these being the former cells with inserted garage door; sash window and barred cell window to left-hand side elevation.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: an unusually ambitious example of a guard house, to the Southgate Street entrance to the barracks. Lower Barracks was occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison attached to the Upper barracks, and largely rebuilt 1901-5. It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula Barracks site.
Other nearby listed buildings