This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0617 / 51°3'42"N
Longitude: -1.3188 / 1°19'7"W
OS Eastings: 447835
OS Northings: 129373
OS Grid: SU478293
Mapcode National: GBR 861.9F1
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.S1S
Plus Code: 9C3W3M6J+MF
Entry Name: 1-6, Gar Street
Listing Date: 5 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487918
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4729 SE GAR STREET
869/5/10016 Peninsula Barracks
05-SEP-00 (West side)
Barrack block, now housing. 1901-5, converted to the designs of Huw Thomas 1997. Red brick with terracotta dressings, brick front lateral and cross-ridge stacks, and slate cross-gabled roof. Georgian Revival style.
PLAN: a long H plan originally of 4 single-depth dormitories, each with a central side stack.
EXTERIOR: 4-storey, 12-window range with cambered gauged brick arches over 6/6-pane sashes. A symmetrical front showing 3 storeys to the parade ground front, with terracotta second-floor cornice and pediment mouldings; 1-window end pediments with oculi to cross ranges set forward, with 2-window ablution section in the re-entrants (now with hipped roofs), and 3-window dormitories between formerly divided by lateral stacks; similar dormitories with 3-window side elevations in the pedimented cross ranges. Rear similar with regular fenestration, 2-window end pediments, and 2 doorways to former ablution blocks, with 9-light overlights. Four pedimented doorcases, designed by the architect Huw Thomas as part of the restoration planned and completed in the 1990s: also dating from the restoration is the rear rustication to the ground floor.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: this is a curiously old-fashioned barracks compared with contemporary examples at Tidworth or Colchester Camps, its design showing some respect for the Upper Barracks (qqv), rebuilt at the same time. Lower Barracks was occupied from the mid nineteenth century as a hospital and prison attached to the Upper Barracks, and largely rebuilt 1901-05.
It forms a complete functional assemblage of late Victorian/Edwardian barrack buildings, and contributes to the considerable overall significance of the Peninsula barracks site.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings